Author Topic: The Bridge  (Read 1341 times)

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Bridge
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
I was thinking about how The Bridge has been very much directly inspired by opening of this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OEHufcT3jmw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OEHufcT3jmw</a>

Has anyone figured out any of the lyrics yet?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: The Bridge
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »
If only. It's frustrating but after multiple listens so far I have only got

(the*) bridge is swaying
and I'm holding on and on ..

Then the main line disappears into the vocalise chorus and apart from something that I swear is falling later on, that's still all I got since October.

Anybody else having better luck?

*(the): I mean, I think there's a "the" but it's (a) kind of buried in the mix and (b) very lightly pronounced.

twobreaths

• SURFBOARt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I think later I hear something like "flash away" near the later part of the song.

I remember learning about the Tacoma Narrows Bridge last year in Physics class. So from what I remember basically the engineers designed it but forgot to account for wave resonance due to the wind (whoops), and eventually there came a point where the frequency of the wind matched the natural frequency of the bridge so the bridge kept swaying more and more until it broke.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
Thats more thanI got so I'll try that out for size.

Didnt that wave miscalculation happen with Londons Wobbly Bridge? I mean the Millenium Bridge?

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
The wobbly Millennium Bridge: yes indeed. I remember hearing the news with a certain grim satisfaction, because everything with the word 'millennium' attached (whichever combination of 'l's and 'n's were used) seemed to be going wrong (I give you the M. Dome with utterly pointless M. Exhibition thing inside). But then they sorted it out. I was rather disappointed: it's a pity that people crossing the Thames no longer have that sinking feeling. Actually, I love the bridge now, mainly because it leads to the Tate, the Globe and Borough Market from St Paul's. The last I'm not that wildly keen on (the Italians did that sort of thing much better), but there's no denying it's impressive. Sorry, this has turned into architecture corner. Better stop. Now.