Author Topic: Anna's new record  (Read 6844 times)

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Anna's new record
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »
Is this where we can discuss* Anna's new new record, the one that she says she's writing in the spook interview Molly found?  ;D

* = speculate, draw up wish list ....

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
Indeed. The new record she's writing. I'm holding my breath, since it might only take another ... [sound of me falling over, blue in the face]

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
... [steps daintily over Pete] ...

at least a year/eighteen months???

Well, that could be Xmas 2015 sorted  :-\

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »
I'm excited for the new record, but does that mean I should just give up on "Calvi North American Tour 2014" at this point?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 10:32:35 PM »
Who knows, who knows ...

I deduce from Anna's latest tweet that what's on it was whatever was recorded in New York at Strange Weather studios, Watson.

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »
ok so now that the cat is out of the bag, what does everyone think of the new EP?

I am unbearably excited. I was on a call at work when I read the release on Pitchfork and I think I momentarily blacked out from excitement. It took all my self control to not yell FUCK YEAH into the phone.

the FKA Twigs cover sounds amazing and is a pretty bold choice. Love the tone of the guitar she uses in the middle (it's super sexy when combined with her singing) and love the builldup of the song into typical Anna territory.

I wonder if David Byrne will go falsetto for the Mockasin track

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
Well, as far as I'm concerned, while it took a little while for me to begin really appreciating Anna's cover, I'm now absolutely hooked, and can't stop playing it. It's complex (musically, if not lyrically), dark, passionate, toe-curlingly so, in fact, and Sean Lennon's air-guitar is exemplary. And, what a good idea to ditch the David Byrne kazoo solo for the middle eight.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
True, true, and I also like the high/low register duet with herself.

Although to be absolutely honest I do feel like, if ever a lyric could be improved by translation into Old Church Slavonic ...

ETA - oh yeah backing vocals on new Marianne Faithfull record - so that's where that song went
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:23:00 AM by wild_corgi »

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
By all the moons of Jupiter! I thought it was in Old Church Slavonic already. You mean, it's in English? Actually, yes, I realise that on a word-by-word basis it doesn't make much sense: by 'pacifying our love' does FKA/Anna want to calm it down, like pouring oil on troubled waters? But what about 'clarify': what, like butter? Or does she/they want to get the basis of their relationship clear? Perhaps with a pre-nup? None of this really seems to be in line with the sound of it. And what does the 'choke' thing mean? Putting to one side FKA's video, where there seems to be reference to a particular sexual practice - linked with a distinctly peculiar dental examination technique ('yes, I think Twiggy's in possession of a full set of molars. Now, can I put my shirt back on?') - there seems to be a plea for her lover to tell her that she's the only one even if both of them know this not to be true. Or am I, as usual, reading too much into this? Oh well, now, where did I put my English-Old Church Slavonic Berlitz Tourist phrase book?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
Maybe... if Icould only hear more words other than the really, really silly ones. I mean, I missed "choke"

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
The first "clarify" that Anna sings, I thought she was saying "gunfire".

It's really unfortunate that the word papi immediately makes me think of this

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »
I think I prefer "gunfire" ... that would make for an interesting lyric. Or at least a top ten entry in the Anna's Mondegreens list.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
Hmmm....so, what does Papi mean? And why not gunfire? There's not enough mindless violence in Anna's recorded songs

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
Those urban dictionaries online are your friend, just as they were mine: a variety of Daddy with strong non-paternal connotations. Bit wierd to hear Anna singing it...

I'm trying to think of other, violent alternative versions of Anna songs - a Tristan where Isolde really loses it with the dimwit?

Strange Weather soon. Hope the presence of David Byrne doesn't make me come all over stabbity.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:20:05 PM by wild_corgi »

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
maybe it's more a North American thing but Papi is very latino and it's used all the time in top 40 music here. Making the Anna cover extra weird

Sing to Me is rather violent, with the tearing of throats and all

David Byrne should not sing next to Anna Calvi. His voice sticks out like a sore thumb