Author Topic: Anna's new record  (Read 6845 times)

substandardnerd

• Mollusc wedding planner
    • View Profile
Re: Anna's new record
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
My CD arrived!  8)

Current favourite tracks are Ghost Rider and Lady Grinning Soul. I like Suicide's original of Ghost Rider although I have to admit to only knowing it because of M.I.A. sampling it on her track Born Free.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »
Hope you get your copy promptly and without undue vexation wild_corgi!

I DID!!! [/puts down smelling salts]

It definitely repays listening over headphones on something with more welly than an ipod or computer, that's for sure.

Random thoughts - mmm, still no bass guitar to speak of; goddammit woman, arrange your own bloody strings can't you, it's not like you're incapable; wide dynamic and tonal range; experimenting with keyboards a lot, quite a different soundworld; the point of covering I'm The Man That Will Find You so far eludes me; there's some thing worth definitely worth exploring in the combination of solo piano and her voice.

So far my faves are Papi Pacify and Ghost Rider.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
As I write this I'm listening to the CD yet again. Unfortunately, Byrne's warbling on at this point. Favourites? Well, given that I have no critical faculties, and would enjoy hearing Anna reciting the phone book, I think it's Papi Pacify and Ghost Rider, and Lady Grinning Soul. OK, that's three fifths, so not really being that picky.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
As I write this I'm listening to the CD yet again. Unfortunately, Byrne's warbling on at this point. Favourites? Well, given that I have no critical faculties, and would enjoy hearing Anna reciting the phone book, I think it's Papi Pacify and Ghost Rider, and Lady Grinning Soul. OK, that's three fifths, so not really being that picky.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
I've tried everything with the David Byrne parts - mentally blocking him out, trying to do nifty things with ripping and equalisers to bury him in the mix, surrendering to the warbling, pretending it's The Revenge of Autotune but - no.

Oh, and gin.

Anybody got any further suggestions?

To be completely honest, so far I prefer the solo show performance of Lady Grinning Soul to this one. It can't have been an easy song for her to decide how to cover given it means so much, a lot of thought went into it, so I'm prepared to persevere. 

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
Gin. More gin. Hendrix. That's both the legendary guitarist and the gin. More of both. That should cancel out Byrne. Pity Anna didn't record Foxy Lady.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 07:29:30 AM »
^ oh man, and I'd been trying not to think too hard about Foxy Lady ...

Still, at least we know from the latest Facebook post that I'm the Man That Will Find You was intended as a creepfest, which it certainly comes over as. In the nicest possible squicky way.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »
Hmmm....I'm The Man as creepfest but 'in the nicest possible way': thank God it wasn't a nasty creepiest then. Actually, I've never really accepted Anna as a 'gothic' performer, in the way that so many lazy journalists have, but with this EP I'm starting to think that there's a certain dark, creepy element that might conceivably be described as 'gothic' (depends entirely, of course, on what you mean - for instance, I've no idea what the early medieval Goths, Ostrogoths and Visigoths sounded like). Some, most, all of it could be interpreted as claustrophobic, obsessive, airless and rather, well, unhealthy - though not of course in a bad way - to a greater extent than I at least heard in Anna's two albums and most of her covers. I say most because the general mood of this EP does remind me more of her Wall cover than of any of her own compositions.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
Oh, and Foxy Lady: sorry to remind you of that. Maybe with her rendition of that song she has a similar effect on philogynists that Hendrix had on, well, just about everyone. And, she can get away with the overtly sexist and objectifying lyrics!

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »
Not that there's a historical record on this, but I always imagined the actual ~Goths in Hollywood Rags /Coarse Costume No 3 swinging a claymore around to a Nine Inch Nails soundtrack being all "Plunder! Kill! All Romans/monks/plutocrats must die! Ooh black nail varnish and guyliner,  I baggsed it first!!"

Agree with you there's a very different feel to this record, and IMO you're bang on that it's partly due to the obsessive nature of the songs - which really takes some doing as a lot of Anna's material is about erotic obsession to start with. Mind, I don't think any of them were quite this dark - American suburban nightmares, deranged erotic submission, deranged erotic possessiveness, American uptown ennui, and that's before you start on Lady Grinning Soul ...

But partly also I think to the experiment with using keyboards and exploring what sound worlds she can get from them - including playing with rhythms and driving bass lines. Perhaps I'm not explaining this well, and somebody who's not A Total Guitar Zero (TM) can pop by in a minute to explain it better, but comparing Anna's Papi Pacify with FKA Twigs's original, Anna seems to me to have added a sense of propulsion to the otherwise airy and floating trippy original.

I'm also sure that working with different musicians also had its own rewards in shaking things up. So all in all I've reckon I've seriously under-estimated this record and what Anna's ideas were that she took into the studio. 

I'd really like to hear her taking this further and developing this for - well, another EP or the next LP, I'm not fussed. Just greedy.

Oh, and I think FKA Twigs is worth keeping an eye on.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
It's marginal, and if anybody wants to calve this off into another thread, I'm cool - OTOH it fits here as it's about Anna's new new record but OTOH it's also about her gear ... 

Anyway, I thought the interview Molly found at Guitar/Bass.net today was really fascinating about where the next Anna-written record might be going, a tiny insight into how she writes, and what sounds are running through her head and the difference between that and what the record sounds like. And there's bits like "Moog guitars ... WTF ?!?!?" and "now I get why she has A Down on acoustic guitars ..."

It's one of the better interviews with Anna I've read recently, because she wasn't being asked stock questions to which she responded on the lovely Anna autopilot, she was engaging with somebody who knew her work and had interesting questions. Clone that guy and send copies round the music press. 

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
Wild Corgi: spot on, on all counts. It is a very good interview for precisely the reasons you give, I think. FKA Twigs is a) yes, worth watching and b) sort of local to me in Bristol (well, Cheltenham-ish counts, I think). Maybe that's where she gets the trippy stuff from since, of course, everyone around here is constantly off their face (they're not, actually, they just sound like it. Must be the accent). Also, Anna's Janice Long session is very worth a listen. She reads poetry beautifully (of course). The other thing we're all into round here is self-destructive erotic obsession. I tell you, you can't move for it. The EP is very dark, isn't it, but not in a Joy Division-oh-my-God-I'm-so-depressed-the-only-thing-left-to-do-is-top-myself sort of way (I do think Joy Division were supremely brilliant by the way)? Any collection of songs where a cover of a Suicide song represents some relief (only because it's the only one that doesn't seem to be about dark erotic obsession - but it still maintains the overall tone) is pretty serious stuff, I think. But, the more I listen to the EP the more impressive it seems. The first three, I think, are the strongest, and as such fabulous. So, yes, it will be very interesting to see where she goes next: further dark, erotic obsession, or maybe a complete change of direction with an album of songs about cuddly bunnies and the joys of skipping through sun-dappled meadows?
Finally, I must pick you up on your portrayal of Goths rampaging across Europe to the sound of NIN. The latest consensus is that Aleric and his fellow Goths (Ostro or Visi) were actually nice, mild-mannered, Guardian-reading, Muesli-munching, sandle-wearing weedy wets who've just been a bit misunderstood. And that Sack of Rome was just, well, out of character and, frankly, disappointing.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
Pshaw we all saw them filling their boots with the guyliner AND the nail varnish! That's why we know they weren't the good guys.

Hadn't thought of it before, but now you put it that way, yes it is coming to something when a song by Suicide is the metaphorical ray of sunshine - or moment of energy, if you prefer - on the EP. I'm glad I did get it in the end, not having had high hopes from a couple of the tracks, especially for getting to hear the change of musical direction and sound exploration. I wonder if that's where the next songs go, into different sound worlds? I'm glad Anna got the cover of Lady Grinning Soul down - wonder if it's a relief to have recorded it instead of obsessing about it?

But I bet if anybody could write an obsessed song about cuddly cuddly bunnies it would be Anna.

You're right the Janice Long session is worth listening to - I just wish Anna's enthusiasm for capturing the moment in performance would extend to A Live Record. The Q/A with Marianne Faithfull sounds intriguing (and very generous in spirit as well). 

BTW, I thought everybody in the West Country was off their face all the time because in the countryside people have to make their own amusements. (Not that I can disapprove, coming from near Blackwood, Chav Town of the Year since time immemorial, hot rod driving up and down the High Street with nudity, profanity and vodka chasers. every Thursday... 'sfunny, you'd think the Manic Street Preachers would've been less fervently grim with all that on their doorsteps.)

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »
Have you heard the Manics latest, 'If you tolerate this, the Bunnies will be next'?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
That's on The Holy Bunny LP right?

Now I'm in the covers mood - I would really like to hear an Anna cover of Lonesome Hunter, just to see how she'd handle the cognitive dissonance between the sentimental bland music and the scary words.

PS and if she's playing Latitude tonight - lightning better not strike!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:16:33 PM by wild_corgi »