Author Topic: Idle speculations  (Read 2423 times)

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
Idle speculations
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:31:18 AM »
Prompted by Anna's recent NME Basement performance of Suzanne and I: a) has she ever been seen with perfectly applied, un-chipped nail varnish? And b) how many black T-shirts does Glenn own? I fervently hope it's not just one ...

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Idle speculations
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:31:59 AM »
In fairness, it is a bit difficult to get nail varnish looking good even fresh out of the bottle when you have the totally trashed fingernails of somebody who plays a string instrument ...

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
Wild Corgi: that's what I thought. Speaking as someone who neither wears nail varnish nor plays a stringed instrument, I do wonder why she bothers ....

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Yeah its not like the giant heels which DO have a point

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Indeed. And I don't wear giant heels either.

I do think that the chipped blobs of red nail varnish rather draw attention to the fact that her finger nails have suffered from years and years of playing guitar. But what do I know?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
Oh lots ....

But without the red nail varnish, it would be a lot harder to convey those subliminal Agave hints, surely?

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
as someone that grew up playing piano, I was never allowed to grow out my nails cause it would make noises when it hit the keys, and was considered 'bad form' ... in my teen years, I would 'rebel' by growing them until my teacher told me to cut them ... maybe this is Anna's way of doing something nice for her nails (even though it is in vain), since she can't really grow them out

ok, this is actually just my own reason as to why I still like to paint my nails even though I can't grow them out... to make up for a lifelong lack of nice, shapely nails.

anyone else feel this way? I can't be the only one.

electriclight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:11 AM »
I have become so used to keeping my nails at an extremely short level that growing them out feels disgusting to me, like I have talons which are slowly separating from my fingers...  I can only guess that people grow their nails out so they can 'accidentally' scratch people they don't like.

As for the nail polish, I don't get it either. Perhaps she puts it on when she knows she won't have to play for a day or two, and goes around for that time waving her hands about so everyone can admire the temporary perfection.

twobreaths

• SURFBOARt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
I have become so used to keeping my nails at an extremely short level that growing them out feels disgusting to me, like I have talons which are slowly separating from my fingers...  I can only guess that people grow their nails out so they can 'accidentally' scratch people they don't like.

I grew up playing piano too and I remember having to buy nail clippers many times on vacation since my nails felt really gross. And when it grows long and hits the key... that is the worst feeling, I think about the nail under my skin pushing into the nail matrix...

It is strange that Anna has done it for many years and the same color too from what I can remember. I also paused that video to check if what I saw was correct

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »
I haven't done the long nail hitting the key thing but during my Guitar Zero phase I did do the removing the nail from the nailbed of a finger on the right hand by tangling it with the string thing ... and there's a reason it's one of the standard tortures.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:31:53 PM by wild_corgi »

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »
Ouch!