Author Topic: Mercury music awards  (Read 8169 times)

MrCricket

• View Profile
Mercury music awards
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
So what do we think? Anna is on some pretty long odds, and has been nominated before. Anyone giving her a chance? I've tried listening to a few of the other acts and Anna is clearly the best!

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Mercury music awards
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
I think it's great Anna's been nominated because, well, Anna ...

... but also because this is an album that's been released a while ago now and is coming round to the end of its tour cycle. It could have been forgotten - prob NOT by Domino - but on the other hand it's had chance to prove its staying power. I'm still finding new things in it.

Sadly not any additional words in the lyrics of The Bridge, but there you go.

I did actually put money on this one, despite the old advice Never Bet On Anything That Can Talk.

What her chances are I don't know. Other acts - I really liked FKA Twigs but so soon after release I don't know how much staying power it'll have. Lots or none, is my personal guess. Damon Albarn, I honestly tried. Kate Tempest, did they find an old bottle of Speech Debelle Koolaid? Royal Blood I'm a bit disappointed by. The others are yet to be discovered ...

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
I liked the gogo penguins, but most of the bands were a bit too electronically and not really my thing. Royal blood were more up my street but nothing special. I really don't know who will win... My music taste really isn't that of a connoisseur

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
I've been listening to everyone else nominated to try and not be bias with wanting Anna to win, but omg I really hope she wins now after hearing the competition. One Breath is leagues ahead.

I just have a feeling FKA Twigs might get it, but I hope I'm wrong.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
Hi all! Well, I've not heard much of most of them, but - for what it's worth - I think FKA Twigs is very interesting, even if the album, unlike the EPs, appears to be wall-to- wall filth (and so unlike the home life of our own dear Queen). I hadn't heard of Kate Tempest until I watched the (God awful) Mercury Prize nominations programme on British TV. They played a snatch of one of the tracks and she was briefly interviewed, and I thought that she, and the music, was rather interesting. Then I heard her interviewed, and performing two of her songs (do we call them songs?) on BBC Radio, and immediately downloaded the album. I've been listening to it fairly intensively for the last few days. I haven't heard any rap that I've liked until this. It's really growing on me, and I actually find myself caring about the central characters. Royal Blood I think are extraordinary, in a similar way to the White Stripes (ie 'how can two people make such a wonderful noise?') but without the killer riffs and charm. I haven't really heard enough of the others to have an opinion.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
Of course, Anna's is better than anything else I've heard that's on the list. Seriously, I think it is, but I wouldn't think it an ABSOLUTE travesty if FKA Twigs or, particularly, Kate Tempest won. Anyway, the coverage Anna's getting from this is good.

substandardnerd

• Mollusc wedding planner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »
I really like the FKA twigs album. I'm just having a first listen to the Kate Tempest on Spotify now as everyone, other artists, critics and music fans I know and respect the opinion of alike, seem to be saying positive things about it. I do like select rap and like what I'm hearing here!

The East India Youth album is pretty decent too if you like that sort of thing.

My money is on FKA twigs and I'd be okay with that even if I would love to see Anna get her diamond encrusted shoes.

Elisa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I like FKA Twigs record too. I'm afraid she will win.
Anyway:
2012-Alt J
2013-James Blake
Judges, don't you think it's time to give this award to an artist who play normal music?

But the important question is: who will go with Anna at the ceremony? Last time was Emma.
Ryan Gosling? James Franco? Freja? I vote moulinette.
"Had I not seen the Sun, I could have borne the shade. But Light a newer Wilderness my Wilderness has made."
                                                 Emily Dickinson

substandardnerd

• Mollusc wedding planner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 05:20:42 PM »
I LOVE the Kate Tempest album after a couple of plays today! I've booked to see her in November!  ;D

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
I've gone back to the FKA Twigs LP1 and I do like it. I think it has the advantage that it's been nominated soon after it's been released, so nobody's had chance to live with it and find out if it has any weak spots. Mind you - LP1 might not have any weak spots, or its weak spots might be outweighed by the good parts. I think it's just too early to tell.

I will try to listen to East India Youth and the rest of them before the week is out.

Who goes with Anna? well, picking up another thread - Basil. Basil the basil plant.

What?

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Maybe FKA Twigs is a too obvious choice and they'll vote therefore for a less obvious one, who knows...
I like Twigs, but I really get into Kate Templeton now, too, does anybody remember Anne Clark? Kate seems to be in her tradition. I haven't listened to all other nominated artists yet, but I'll try to.

Anyway I'm always superstitious and pessimistic with awards, usually never those win who I'd like to win, I don't seem to bring luck, so I just say as principle that Anna won't win in the hope to be proved wrong  :).

Maybe Basil could be Anna's mascot, even if he's dead, but she could take his urn with her...
Mox nox.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
Anne Clark!! I do remember her. I thought I was the only one.

Now I have a reference point for Kate Temple, thank you. It's her turn tomorrow. Nick Mulvey tonight.

Oh dear. That didn't sound so rude in my head.

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »
It shows I'm still new to Kate, didn't even get her name right: Tempest, not Templeton, sorry!  ;).

Mox nox.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »
I would love to see Anna win this. But I think realistically FKA Twigs will . But I think she has done incredibly well to be even nominated on what is really last years album. It has also given her some very useful exposure. When I was in my local HMV shop they have a special display of the nominated CD's , so this will really bring her work to the attention of people who may have not heard of her.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
Well, Nick Mulvey's album will not make Anna or FKA Twigs afraid - in my opinion.  It's very pleasant, very accomplished, but to me it feels like it could have been made any time in the last 30 years. Almost as if nothing had changed in the meantime - 30 years ago it might have been prog rock's influence on folk, now it's jazz's ... It was disappointing. I think I should listen to it again to make sure: can I be that wrong?

Hope Kate is more interesting!

I hope they all sell lots of records because they have been nominated.