Author Topic: Special December show  (Read 15684 times)

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Special December show
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
I'm planning a very special London show in December.. More news soon! xA

So, lets speculate. I think she will debut a new song, like Somerset House (someone record this for me or I will kms).

Or it could be a show with an orchestra finally (in that case someone record the whole thing or I will kms).

What do you think?

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
Re: Special December show
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »
Or, it could be a show with a 'solo' show following. Or, it could be Anna appearing on stage with P J doing a duet?
If it was a show with an orchestra, then wouldn't it have made more sense for her to have appeared at the Proms?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
^^ OHHH - DUET.

I thought you said DUEL. 

Weapons of choice, anybody? Capos at ten paces?

It might be a gig with an orchestra. London Contemporary Orchestra, I'm looking at you, cos of the Jonny Greenwood connection.

Why not the Proms? Good question. Scheduling clashes perhaps? If I remember right, classical musicians and orchestras can book concerts up to 5 years in advance.  The classical version of headliners would have been fixed a long time ago. There would still be some room to book Anna, but if it was over July / August, when she was touring rock festivals - it may not have been possible. Dates Anna was free could have been been booked for classical concerts a long time ago.

Anyway - new band (member)? new album or material? new instrument? (not played by Mally - that would not count, she plays so many, but Moog guitar experiments, or the return of the violin?).

Just not a collaboration with David Byrne. Please?

amnis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
Let's hope it's with an orchestra...  :) Worst case: It could be a Christmas show with a lot of kitschy Christmas songs... There's also some rumours about an Anna Calvi Christmas Album... If that all would happen, then I kms... :P

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
The special show could be a DUET with Marianne Faithful, preceding a DUEL with Polly H. And, Wild Corgi, regarding choice of weapons: well, any kind of edged weapon, or, indeed, any kind of hand-to-hand weapon, would surely give PJH the advantage, because, well, let's put it this way, I wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley. Or, indeed, in a dark ally. So, it had better be a pair of elegant pistols.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
No.

Stilettos.

;)

ETA It's a pun.
Ok it's not a good pun.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »
No.

Stilettos.

But of course! Actually, Anna beating Polly to death with her shoes (not bothering with the elegant Italian poignards in their presentation case lying on top of the Vox A30) would be quite a finale....

RidertoCavale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
I think it's probably going to be a gig with an orchestra, and really hope that it is.  It would be great to finally get a perfomance of 'One Breath' of 'The Bridge.'

I also wonder if she might perform a new song or too, like Molly suggested, or perhaps some of the covers, and maybe with the collaborators she's been working with too.

Whatever it is, I hope I'll be able to get myself a ticket!

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:15:07 PM »
Oooh... I might be allowed out the house by then

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:17:04 PM »
The special show could be a DUET with Marianne Faithful, ...

I did wonder whether there was something planned with Marianne Faithfull, to be honest, but then Marianne has her own band, and world tour coming up, and why would Anna announce she (=Anna) was planning a very show if what was very special was somebody else and not something Anna herself was doing?

I think it's probably going to be a gig with an orchestra, and really hope that it is.  It would be great to finally get a perfomance of 'One Breath' of 'The Bridge.'

Agree with you there RidertoCavale - and that we all can get tickets.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
Most of Anna's collaborators will be lucky to survive a harsh December. She'll want to play it safer than that. My guess is a normal gig but with a slightly wackier costume... Like Somerset House. A guest or two would be cool... Or a 4 hour set with all her songs.

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
This December show is clearly a birthday present directed to me from Anna. Thanks Anna, you really shouldn't have, but I will gladly take it.

As great as Marianne is, or any pontetial duel/dual show, I'm hoping the focus is on Anna's music, and her baller diamond encrusted 20k stilettos

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »
Most of Anna's collaborators will be lucky to survive a harsh December. She'll want to play it safer than that. My guess is a normal gig but with a slightly wackier costume... Like Somerset House. A guest or two would be cool... Or a 4 hour set with all her songs.

I think Nico Muhly (strings, Papi Pacify) looks robust and healthy, but I take your point about the rest of them. Not sure about guests personally: they do hold up the flow of a gig however much you love them.

It does sound like she's planning a one-off gig - what was the tease for Somerset House, anybody remember?

And on that memory - Somerset House in the pouring rain - please let it be inside.

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »

I think Nico Muhly (strings, Papi Pacify) looks robust and healthy, but I take your point about the rest of them. Not sure about guests personally: they do hold up the flow of a gig however much you love them.

oh and on that note, maybe Fiona Brice as well if she's off from touring with Placebo as she did the arrangements on One Breath with Anna

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
She had a new song and a crabby costume. I've never been wetter. An unrelated point.