Author Topic: Knotty Girl  (Read 1295 times)

twobreaths

• SURFBOARt
    • View Profile
Knotty Girl
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »

It's pretty clear to me that although Anna wrote she really meant "Knotty Girl" to refer to pretzels.

I love to love you baby
I love to love you baby

I'm feeling sexy
I wanna hear you say my name, boy
If you can reach me
You can feel my burning flame

The burning flame refers to the early phase in a pretzel's lifetime - when it is baked near a source of heat to convert it from dough to bread. This is the time of the maturation of a pretzel, from its doughhood to pretzelhood. Pretzels feel more sexy after they evolve from dough, since they have developed all their physical assets. However, Anna is not sure that the boy will be able to stretch his hand all the way to reach her, due to possible impending lethargy.

Baby, the minute I feel your energy
Your vibe is just taking over me
It's gonna feel so crazy, babe
Lately, I feel the funk coming over me
I don't know what's gotten into me
The rhythm's got me feelin' so crazy, babe

Tonight I'll be your knotty girl
I'm callin' all my girls
We're gonna turn this party out
I know you want my body

Tonight I'll be your knotty girl
I'm callin' all my girls
I see you look me up and down
And I came to party

The way she sings the song clearly conveys that she is a pretzel and when she and her girls (the other pretzels) arrive at a party that is when the party "turns out"/turns up. After all, a party wouldn't be fun with just one pretzel.

The funk of the rhythm makes her twist and turn, of course, since she is a pretzel. The boy wants her body - that is, he is hungry for pretzels. He looks her up and down, inspecting the salt crystals and the golden brown tone of bread. Unfortunately, in this day and age, a pretzel cannot be sure what ingredients she has been made of, hence the "I don't know what's gotten into me".

You're so sexy, tonight I am all yours, boy
The way your body moves across the floor

Since the boy is expending his energy when dancing at the party, he is getting hungrier and hungrier since he has to gain back the calories he has burned. Tonight, Anna the pretzel is all his to eat, whereas before when she was still on the store shelf, .

I love to love you baby
I love to love you baby
I love to love you baby
I love to love you

The repetition of these lines referencing Donna Summer's 1975 hit is a clear connection emphasizing how much a pretzel wants to fulfill its purpose of being eaten. In addition, Anna is also cleverly making a reference to , who cowrote the song with Summer.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:16:22 AM by twobreaths »

Elisa

• View Profile
Re: Knotty Girl
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »
If I died today I would die happy because I read this.
"Had I not seen the Sun, I could have borne the shade. But Light a newer Wilderness my Wilderness has made."
                                                 Emily Dickinson

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
Re: Knotty Girl
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »
This is brilliant. So, was Anna inspired by the Steely Dan 'Pretzel Logic' album of 1974?