Author Topic: One Breath now the dust has settled  (Read 5959 times)

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: One Breath now the dust has settled
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »
Are there any further clues in Strange Weather, I wonder?

I liked the adventurousness in that record, and the nerve required to set down a version of Lady Grinning Soul, which she's made clear is very close to her.

I came away from that with a huge appreciation of Anna's current band (aka shut UP David Byrne syndrome) and some disappointment she wasn't apparently doing her own arrangements (strings, piano...). Unless I misread something. Which often happens.

What did other people get from it as possible clues to the future?

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
 I personally saw Strange Weather as a side personal  project between albums enabling Anna to cover some songs which she personally liked or had tried in her live performances ( Ghost Rider ) or Solo shows.  I thought it was excellent especially the FKA Twigs cover.

I do not really think David Byrne contributed anything, and having his name on the cover was only there to attract a wider audience.

I saw Anna recently and the whole band  are now a really tight little outfit. I think Mally is an absolutely integral part of Anna,s unique sound , and the interaction of the two is the heart of Anna,s music.
  Also visually she really adds an unique element. When I last saw them, a lot of people who had never heard of Anna, were intrigued by her  Harmonium and strange percussion instruments.

As you say Anna is a very experimental and adventurous artist, but for me ,her band also are also what makes her so unique and impressive.

I really cannot see Anna making an album without them.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
Neither could I, and now you've got me wondering what that might sound like ...

Very difficult to imagine, because as you say, Mally feels completely integral to her sound, especially live.

I agree Strange Weather was a very personal project: whether it was something she had to do for herself alone that musically didn't quite fit with the band, or whether it was spying out new directions for the band, I guess we have to wait and see. So good to see she tried out something new yet again: the FKA Twigs cover wasn't predictable, and it's become a favourite.

I don't think I would call Anna an experimental artist though - that's for purely personal reasons, because in my very bitter experience when artists or their are are called "experimental" it means the experiment has failed. Oh the miserable hours on splintery seats watching people shout at plants or hit prepared pianos. So far, I think Anna's experiments have been very successful.

Elisa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »
I have the feeling that next time she will produce a less rock record. Maybe something more art-pop with a little bit of electronic. In any case, if she will keep put her heart in her songs I will follow her, whatever genre she'll choose.
But I hope that when her tour will be over she'll rest for some months.
Even if it will means that we'll have to wait for a long time.
"Had I not seen the Sun, I could have borne the shade. But Light a newer Wilderness my Wilderness has made."
                                                 Emily Dickinson

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »
Wild Corgi: "Oh the hours spent watching people shout at plants" - "Basil! Don't you dare die! Don't leave me Basil! Live, for God's sake live!!!"

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
But I hope that when her tour will be over she'll rest for some months.
Even if it will means that we'll have to wait for a long time.

I do wonder if she's found time to write or work up some sketches during intervals off the road, but I expect that's me being greedy.  I hope the writing process isn't rushed and Anna can take as long as she needs - or the material needs.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
Whilst I wouldn't want it rushed, the last album was written quickly whereas the first album took a few years... I think all ms Calvi needs is a bit of focus, but hopefully after a decent rest. I imagine she has a load of ideas. Call me impatient but I want something by spring next year :)

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
Huh I wanted something by spring this year ...  mind, we did get Strange Weather more or less about then.

You and your talk of loads of ideas. You're getting me all excited now.

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
Hi all!

I love both of Anna's albums to bits for their individual originality, they're both so different. While "Anna Calvi" was the perfect debut and the statement of a fantastic talent, "One Breath" is the confirmation and a statement of a fantastic artist who's progressed and evolved a lot. I was so pleased that she didn't fall for the "Anna Calvi II" trap, but moved out of her comfort zone and onto new paths. She's more experimental, more courageous, more complex  and more challenging, because I admit that it takes its time to really get into "One Breath". But it's worth the patience, it's not an album to be flipped through quickly on iTunes, it is demanding and that's a great thing.
Now what's next? If "Strange Weather" was any indication, then she might continue to experiment more with her voice. Her version of "Ghost Riders" is SOO excellent and her voice simply WOW.
"Musically more relaxed" was how she described new song ideas recently in an interview, so whatever it means, I'm looking forward for whatever she does, she has not yet reached her creative peak, of that I'm sure.

Huh I wanted something by spring this year ...  mind, we did get Strange Weather more or less about then.

You and your talk of loads of ideas. You're getting me all excited now.

Oh, and please give the girl some time to write her new album if you want it to be of excellent quality, there's no need to rush, she'll need her time to write it all in the way that she will be pleased with it (including an in-depth and very emotional song about Basil  :P)
Mox nox.

Elisa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »
Maybe Love of my life is about Basil, who knows!
"Had I not seen the Sun, I could have borne the shade. But Light a newer Wilderness my Wilderness has made."
                                                 Emily Dickinson

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 12:33:57 AM »
Maybe Love of my life is about Basil, who knows!

:o erm, which lyrics in particular of this song make you think that?  ;D
Mox nox.

Elisa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Let’s be strangers in the night
You know that when you live with someone, after a few years the passion can decrease. This verse means the she asks to Basil to treat her like a stranger. She wants to come back to the early months of their relationships.
The rest was silence there was no reply
Of course, Basil can't speak. But sometimes love don't needs words.

Emily Dickinson

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
Hi.     Yes obviously Anna is a perfectionist, and she will not release anything unless she is 100 % happy with it.                    Or she might be waiting for Basil to grow  again and give her inspiration !

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »
Basil must have grown and inspired her, because today's lunchtime surfing found this -

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/09/catching-up-with-anna-calvi.html

Paste: Do you have your sights set on your next album?

Calvi: Yeah, I’m currently writing for it.

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
Basil must have grown and inspired her, because today's lunchtime surfing found this -

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/09/catching-up-with-anna-calvi.html

Paste: Do you have your sights set on your next album?

Calvi: Yeah, I’m currently writing for it.

Maybe they inspire each other: She plays him her new tunes and in return he keeps on growing and flourishing. Maybe she'll make it into the Guiness Book of Records with him some day as Basil, the oldest basil ever....

Elisa, your theory sounds reasonable, and see above, maybe they're on a new level of their relationship now  :P.

Mox nox.