Author Topic: Best "post One Breath" Anna music  (Read 2705 times)

MrCricket

• View Profile
Best "post One Breath" Anna music
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:18:45 PM »
So, we basically have a few covers and a few collaborations. I'm talking strange weather, Marianne faithful and Noah and the whale. What do people think? Biding her time? Having fun? Procrastinating? Musical progress?

For me, nothing has really stood out. I wish it had, but I haven't really been feeling it. I want a new album! That Marianne faithful track was cool though

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Best "post One Breath" Anna music
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »
Yeah I want a new album too – you do feel that this tour is coming to the end of its cycle, and new material would be very welcome.  But considering Anna’s been on the road for so long, practically non-stop like the Duracell Bunny, I’m surprised we got this much from her on record, to be honest.

I’m intrigued by Strange Weather, and some of it I like, some of it I detest (the bits with David Byrne on, on general principles, and also the Keren Ann song itself,  which to me is meh verging on yuck and after a few plays srlsy WTF ??STFU!! ). I’d totally forgotten about Noah and the Whale, my bad.  The Marianne Faithfull I do like, and I hope the two of them are having as good a time collaborating as it looks from the outside!

There’s an interesting bit in the French interview from earlier this summer, which Domino linked to on Anna’s twitter page, it’s here http://www.zyvamusic.com/anna-calvi/

and while I’m easily wrong, a quick free translation in my head comes out as:

[Journalist] What things do you need to create, to write?
                       [Anna] I need to be happy, have [my own] space, time to reflect and for myself, things to inspire me like watching   films,           listening to music, things that inspire me ... 

Maybe you just don’t find those things touring. I do hope that the short Morrissey support gig doesn’t mess those things up for her.

There’s been the odd rumour, or shortlived tweet,  she’s been in/out of studios, possibly experimenting (I could have made this up but I could swear one of them has a Moog guitar set up on its premises), possibly demoing.  But how long it takes her to write or work up an idea she's noted down, and how much gets edited out, and how much gets quietly dropped as not up to standard or a failed experiment, I guess we’ll never know. 

This makes it a right pain waiting. Others may be more patient. Also others may have liked the collaborations and EP more than you and I did!

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
 I agree with Wild Corgi on this.
  At the risk of repeating myself. I have always said that there is a huge difference between Anna live and her studio work.  I do not think this really captures the power and excitement of her live performances.  Although, without wishing to sound too much of an anorak, I far prefer her recordings on Vinyl to CD or MP3, probably because they were originally recorded on Analogue equipment.
     For me , Anna is at her best with her band.   These collaborations are ok, but to me are merely side projects.  I can imagine that it is very rewarding for Anna to be aknowledged and play with well respected senior  figures in the music world.  But I am not too sure where this is really getting her.
     Presumably the relentless touring is to promote her and her band. But her recent  recordings , and a lot of her promotion through Facebook etc, seem to be geared towards her solo work.
   Obviously recording a new album is very time consuming, and Anna has been incredibly busy, and we will have to be patient.    Personally I would like her new album to be a reinstatement of her 1st album . Which was that of a totally original band producing an unique sound, and to highlight Anna,s awesome guitar playing which is at the heart of her live act.
   I actually think that Anna is at a bit of a junction in her career, and it will be intresting to see which route she follows.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
^ Yeah I'm getting that exact same sense too. Glad it's not just me going quietly nuts.  The one thing I'm aware I'm leaving out of all this is ££££ or $$$$, (reminded 'cos I am at home signing off some loathsome work budgets ), and that's rightly shrouded in mystery, so maybe all we can do is acknowledge it's there, shrug and move on to Anna's work.

Agree with Michael that the core of her work is the live shows and playing/improvising - within the context of that band and those songs.  Personally I find it a bit hard to get a feel for what's going on with the Facebook and Twitter since "AC" is also the band as much as Herself,  and the pages can only promote what is actually going on - like the Morrissey support slots, frex, which have just gone up. 

Whatever, I hope it's Anna who gets to make the final choice and go down whichever avenue is right for her artistically.

ETA - I'm really, really curious and interested in that planned special December show now ....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:22:33 PM by wild_corgi »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
I have just looked on her web site show list,  and there is a blank listing for Dec 13 !!

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »
DOH

That list never works for me.

The extra good thing is? It's not a Friday!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:35:12 PM by wild_corgi »

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
Looks like the 13th December works for me... I'm in Munich on the 10th. Lucky me.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
Yes.   I think although it is easy for us to judge Anna, s output on a purely artistic or personal taste basis. We have to remember that her band and her music are a business and have to produce some sort of profit.
   I have often looked at her touring schedule and wondered just how financially viable some of the concerts are.  When she plays a few in a row in the same country they are obviously worth doing . But  often when she plays an individual concert, as she did in Majorca the other week, I can not really see how the figures add up.   They must just look at the whole picture , and try to judge if it is worthwhile.
      Also with some of her recorded work , there must be some PR / Spin involved.  I am sure someone somewhere  thought it would be a good idea to have David Byrne ,s name on the cover to increase the potential market ( although I must say I like Strange Weather, but always miss out the title track ).   Also her work with MF , but I do think this was far more succesful, and will enhance her reputation.
    Obviously for Anna and her band, this is their job, and have to produce a living income.
    But I think Anna is a huge talent, and would hate to see her career ruined by bad management and promotional decisions which we all know have been too common in the music business over the years.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:29:14 PM by Michael G »

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
Michael G. and wild_corgi,
basically I agree with your opinions, I think it was a good year for Anna in terms of experiences and fulfilling  wishes, of which there were some she couldn't even have foreseen, like collaborating with David Byrne and Marianne F. . So these were some kind of extra bonus or perhaps rewards for her work and the reputation she has built up with her first two albums and her live shows. Her choices on "Strange Weather" wouldn't have been necessarily mine, I must admit, except for "Ghost Riders", but I acknowledge that this was probably a sort of "project of the heart" for her, taking some of her favourite songs and turn them into something that sounds like her own. In that way she succeeded, but I can't imagine her ever writing songs of that kind.
I agree that she is ace on the records, but a shining star in her live shows, where there are no limits set to her performances, unlike in a studio. But having said that, I nevertheless don't want her to ever become like other bands who only make albums as an alibi for going on tour, like certain old men tend to do these days ( Stones and such ). I want her to stay ambitious in both ways - on stage and in her song writing. "One Breath" implied that she is ready for new directions and challenges, and that's a good thing even if it might sometimes mean that she'll have the predicament of how to deliver some of the more complex songs live on stage, but still this should not stop her from experimenting.

Also she should take the time she needs for writing and never rush and hurry, nothing good can come from stuffing together songs with the stopwatch in one hand. I hope Domino Records won't put her under any pressure.
Wild_corgi, didn't she mention that songwriting is such an intimate process for her, where she needs to lock the doors and stay alone? I think that was in context of writing for and with MF, as this was so unusual for Anna to be with someone and write with them together. So I don't think she really writes when she's on tour, but she had some breaks inbetween the festivals, maybe she wrote down some ideas then. But generally I would think  she won't seriously start to write before 2015.
And I wonder for how long she will be able to keep this two years rhythm of album- tour- album-tour, because the more albums the longer and therefore the more exhausting the shows, she might need longer breaks in the future to recharge her batteries, both physically and creatively.

But for now I'm looking forward to that ominous "Christmas-Show", even if I can't go  :-[, but I'll trust on you peeps to film it or even  better, that Anna will eventually release a DVD  :).
Mox nox.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
Please don't rely on me for filming anything,  Anna would not be in it -OK, maybe half of her pedal board or the headstock of the guitar, from time to time - it would be completely out of focus, the sound would be distorted, and I would miss the best part of the whole gig!

You got me thinking about the role of records in touring, and yes I completely agree that for some artists the record is the way to sell the tour.  Yes, the Stones are a perfect example.  For Anna? I seem to remember a recent interview where she said she thought there was still a place for a well-crafted record as a body of work in itself.  So I have hope that Anna will put a lot of thought into both writing, and picking the material to go on the record.  That will not speed up the writing process I am sure! At the same time Anna has mentioned that she is "starting to write" new material - it's frustrating, because "starting to write" can refer to so many stages of the process: writing down an idea, looking over old ideas from touring, actually writing the new idea in private, reviewing the new material in the cold light of day and rejecting it, trying to work out how to play the new complex idea ...

As for the treadmill of the two-year cycle -  it's hard, I agree.  Add the amount of travelling, and it must be very hard indeed. I remember how bad the teaching year got, with exams/marking every summer, and that's very easy in comparison with touring and performing.  If I had had to travel overnight and have one hour's sleep before marking 30 translations with an encore of tragedy essays in one sitting, outdoors in the rain and cold with people wandering past to get a beer - murder would have been committed.

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
You have my full understanding, I'm not able to focus on two things at the same time, so I'd probably just have a recording
of her feet or the floor, if at all...no multi-tasking here.

Yeah, it really seems to work like that in this business now, anyway for many bands, even the "big" ones like Madonna who made a big deal with a tour promoter years ago, while in the old days she was earning her millions with big record company deals.
I agree with you that Anna will hopefully try and put her energies always in both directions: in the shows and the records. I can't imagine her just doing ever an unmotivated album without a thought behind it in order to be able to go on tour with it.
Of course, there's always the matter of money, but I suppose it has even some advantages, not to be a mega-star, even if she depends perhaps on a certain amount of sold records, too, to be able to do the next and to be able to tour, but being an indie-artist sets the sales level much lower. Also a successful tour can help finance the next album, in case the sales were not meeting the expectations.
I guess "starting to write" is a hint that she has new ideas for songs that she considers good enough to evolve them into songs. And didn't her announcement for the special show include  "maybe some new material"? So maybe despite her busy year she might have found some time to write the one or other song.

So did I get this right that you're a teacher?  Maybe for Anna it's exactly the same that there'd be no way to focus on writing something when she's sitting tired in the tour bus or in a tent at a festival with all the people around being so loud.
Mox nox.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »
Louise
    I will be taking my camera in December, so hopefully will be able to get some decent shots to share.
     I think it has been remarkable  in the past couple of days , what an incredible amount of demand has been generated by her Christmas concert.  This will obviously sell out very quickly.
     It is intresting to compare the huge enthusiasm on Facebook and Twitter for this event with the apparent lack of intrest in her  support gigs with Morrissey.    This rather suggests the huge desire her fans have to see her perform her own set in a fairly small/ medium size venue, where she is at her best.
   Anna could obviously perform shows of this size in most countries with the assurance there would be no shortage of people wanting to see her.   
   With the addition of a choir and string section she will be able to give a completely new interpretation to some of her existing work.   Maybe she will consider a few more concerts with this format. The expenses are obviously higher , but a support act is not essential.
   As you say Anna has hinted at some new work, which will be very intresting, and some new covers. It would be good if she performed Cat People, as she did in Sydney.
    I am really looking forward to her Christmas concert. I have seen Anna a few times, but this will be something completely different.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
Louise, I used to teach, once upon a time, but I completely fell out of love with  students ... because there really is only so much mangling of literature and language I could take: Aeneas are filled with anger like a dark tomato forsooth. Now I work in an office and the murderous insanity has disappeared. That's what my invisible friend the bear says!

Michael, really good point about the enthusiasm for this show compared with the Morrissey gigs.  Would we all be so excited if it was a regular tour as opposed to a one-off? I wonder.  At least, it's us here that sound quite - lukewarm? about Morrissey.

But then maybe those gigs aren't for us. Because meanwhile, in another corner of the forest, the Morrissey fans are at the very least interested in a new and better support act.  That has to be a good thing, and all things considered it has to be good for Anna to get the exposure. Is playing a stadium that much different to playing a festival? Maybe not ...

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »
Wild Corgi
   Yes you are quite right. We are seeing the Morrissey gigs from our own perspective.   As you say it will be something new for Anna, and hopefully make her some  money.
   But the way things are going with Morrissey,s health and his bad record for cancellation, it is  possible he will not  reach that far into his tour anyway.   This will undoubtably be his last tour.
    I have got to say that I always grab any chance to see Anna live, so I am always excited  :) .

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 10:37:29 PM »
Michael G, thank you in advance  :).
Of course, I'm a bit sad that I can't go, but since I've seen her twice live this year at her "normal" shows at least, I don't want to complain, I'd feel ungrateful. I'm happy for all of you who will see her live doing this special show, but most of all I'm so happy for Anna that she is able to fulfill another of her dreams, that must be so rewarding for her to have achieved this next step in her career. And I guess it makes her really happy to see with how much enthusiasm her fans respond to her project; I have no doubt that this will be an outstanding experience with her shining inmidst of strings and choir; I can imagine her having so much fun preparing and rehearsing for the show.
It's not a surprise that the interest in her own show is much bigger than in her support for Morrissey, I'm sure she will be great there, too, but it's just so completely different to her own thing. Between you and me, my bet is that even Anna is much more looking forward to her concert than to the support gigs  :P. But if they earn her the bucks she needs for this special, then they are at least good for something and of course, they prove how courageous she is and not afraid of any challenges.

I hope this won't remain a one off and that she will be able to do such shows with string section and choir every now and then in other countries, too.
And I'm very curious about the "future collaborator" and the new material she announced :).
Mox nox.