Author Topic: Christmas Show 13 December 2014  (Read 7811 times)

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Show 13 December 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »
At the risk of going off topic - did anybody get to the Dublin special appearance?

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
At the risk of going off topic - did anybody get to the Dublin special appearance?

An Italian guy who was also in London went also in Dublin.  I don't think he's writing here.  Do you want to know something about the Dublin show ?  I'm going to ask him ... or ask him if he wants to join the forum

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
Hello all! Good to be back.

One Breath: yes, like many I was disappointed, since - to the best of my knowledge - this has never been done live (trivia question - can any one think of another album title track that's never been done live?) - but, thinking about it afterwards, maybe this was just a little too obvious - and/or, the evening was very much about the orchestra and choice backing Anna, rather than going off on their own. That said, I would have liked to hear what Glenn did with the understated keyboard drone that emerges at the end, and that, for me, is key to the whole piece!

Oh yes: to state the bleedin' obvious, Saturday was the most extraordinary, beautiful and intense experiences I can remember having had - well, in public, anyway. Anna is - again, to state the obvious - clearly a goddess.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »

An Italian guy who was also in London went also in Dublin.  I don't think he's writing here.  Do you want to know something about the Dublin show ?  I'm going to ask him ... or ask him if he wants to join the forum

Everything, obviously  ;)

More seriously - what Bartlett's Sessions are like as a whole, and what Anna played ... the usual.  Thanks Brandon and thanks to your friend in advance. 

Pete - do you know, I hadn't realized One Breath the song hadn't been played live.  I'm easily wrong but I don't think there would be problems with the vocal range, or anything else up to the coda - and you could re-arrange that or Do Something Wierd with keyboards. Provided you felt like it.  Maybe its moment has passed?

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »

I found this  , which might provide some clues.  ( re  Dublin )

Peter , has Tristan ever been performed live ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:16:56 PM by Michael G »

laughingcavalier

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »

(Almost) certain it was played at Wilton's. Sure Moulinette can confirm.

substandardnerd

• Mollusc wedding planner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »

(Almost) certain it was played at Wilton's. Sure Moulinette can confirm.

It was! And quite a few other times according to setlist.fm.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
just found this:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/dec/18/readers-recommend-songs-vibrato-tremolo-oscillation-anna-calvi

Achim

And readers' nominations are published on "the following Thursday  [25th]" - oh good job it's gonna be online, like I'm going to be able to read a paper then.

I didn't know - yes, yes, younglings, point and laugh - Patrick Wolf had also done a song called Tristan

...going back under my stone now.

substandardnerd

• Mollusc wedding planner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 03:59:44 PM »
I didn't know - yes, yes, younglings, point and laugh - Patrick Wolf had also done a song called Tristan
back under my stone now.
As have Pythia:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLxZ0_hbJNE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aLxZ0_hbJNE</a>

And Devon Sproule has a Tristan and Isolde

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sssNZL80rn0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sssNZL80rn0</a>

That's nearly enough for a playlist!

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I was obviously wrong about Tristan.  But at least I have started a lively  discussion.

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 11:59:27 AM »
Hello Peter and soficanon,
Maybe I was just naively thinking that Anna would play all those songs  that have strings involved because she had a string orchestra with her this time - but sometimes it's not that simple, she had clearly deeper thoughts in mind for this show  ;).
I'm glad she performed the Strange Weather- EP because it shows how important this project was for her ( not that she hadn't already proved that with the high standard quality of the covers ), it wasn't just a side project or gap filler..

I've been checking out Patrick Wolf recently and he seems like a very interesting artist. Do you think he might be one of the future collaborators Anna mentioned?
Mox nox.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Hi Louise
   I too have been checking out Patrick Wolf, s work. I am quite impressed.
  He has produced some intresting work with a lot of use of stringed acoustic instruments, including Viola, Violin and Harp.
  Very similar to the style  Anna has been leaning to recently.
    As a new comer to his work I was immediately struck to how much his voice reminded me of Scott Walker, which obviously Anna has been compared to.
 He has also worked with Marianne |Faithfull , and comes from the same part of London as Anna, so they are probably mates.
    A collaboration could be possible, although I wonder if their similar vocal styles would compete with or compliment each other.   Still can only be better than David Byrne  :)

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Hi Michael!
Yes, I absolutely agree, the more I listen to Patrick Wolf, the more I understand why Anna likes him and chose to sing with him at her show. They seem to have quite some things in common.
Having watched "A Kiss to your Twin" on YouTube, I'd say their voices rather compliment each other than compete, so if Anna chose to work with him on her next album, this could become a very interesting collaboration.
Yeah, poor David Byrne, I pity him a bit, but it's true, he is not really that great, to say it diplomatically   :P. The only David I want on her next album is Bowie ( well, it's Christmas soon, a time for dreams and hopes  ;) ).
Mox nox.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 11:47:41 PM »
Seems like we've all been checking out Patrick Wolf's music!

There's a really interesting tension between his love of electronica and more classical/acoustic instruments there: and he's not afraid of expressing passion either, no hiding behind pseudo-irony there.  Whether there is a collaboration with Anna on the cards or not, I'm going to be keeping an eye on him.

David Byrne on the other hand:  despite Talking Heads, has lost a fan here.