Author Topic: Better live or in the studio?  (Read 2625 times)

AC

• View Profile
Better live or in the studio?
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
Forget it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:17:43 PM by AC »

Michael G

• View Profile
Re: Better live or in the studio?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
Hi AC
   I have got to say that I prefer all the first album songs live to the studio recordings.   They all have gained  more power and impact, over time as  they have  evolved.   Blackout, Suzanne and I , and Desire are at the core of Anna,s live set.   First we kiss is one of my favourite live songs.  When she performed this at The Troxy as her third number , this was the point that the set really got going , her guitar solo was amazing.  This was also one of the highlights of the Christmas Show.  None of the  album versions really capture the power of Anna,s awesome guitar playing .   Agree that Love won't be leaving is the standout live track. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:18:05 AM by Michael G »

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
Agree with that, though I have a soft spot for Morning Light and I'll Be Your Man as well: it will be very interesting to hear the version and solo of Love Won't Be Leaving that ends up on the St J DVD* ...

I want a record of how fierce and awesome that solo has become as the song's live performances, the band and Anna have grown (and grown together); but at the same time, I don't want Anna's improvisations to become the prisoner of the DVD version in my mind. Does that make sense?

* just hoping we don't jinx its release or anything ...

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
I have watched so many variations of the solo on You - Tube that I have become confused  . I think the version at St. Johns had a flamenco  feel, although I may be mistaken.
    We are all assuming that there will be a DVD.  Nobody has confirmed this . The recording may have just been for Anna' s home movies   :)

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
I have watched so many variations of the solo on You - Tube that I have become confused  . I think the version at St. Johns had a flamenco  feel, although I may be mistaken.
    We are all assuming that there will be a DVD.  Nobody has confirmed this . The recording may have just been for Anna' s home movies   :)

Don't scare me, there has to be a DVD  :o. And didn't this tiny lady with the high heels tell it to you in person  8)? On one of the photos of the London show there is a camera woman standing in front of the stage, can't see her face, but the hair looks a bit like that of Emma Nathan. So I'd like to fantasize that Emma did direct the filming and will edit, cut, produce and whatever else the stuff for the DVD, because her collaborations with Anna on the visual aspects are all great.

About live or studio: I love both. Of course, I agree that her guitar play is much more prominent onstage and her solos are magnificent, but on the other hand I love her backing vocals on the records, especially on the first album, these choir-like dramatic voices, like on First We Kiss, I'll Be Your Man and LWBL, they are so wonderful, she should have a choir with her at every show.
And I love the strings on the albums, but also love it how she replaces them live with her guitar.
Her voice is live so devastatingly overwhelming, it gets right through to my bones- an incredible experience.

The only thing I'm not quite happy with is that she changed the lyrics of Kiss to Your Twin for the live versions; this song means so much to me, and I still love the live version and the new lyrics are OK, but I still prefer the original lyrics.
So that's why I love this song more on record than live.
Mox nox.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »

The hauntingly beautiful  A kiss to your Twin is one of my favourite AC songs.  I am not sure why it was not on One Breath.
   The attached video really is Anna and her band at their best and most confident.

I would not recognise Emma Nathan, but I am sure the DVD will not be released until it is perfect, like everything else Anna creates.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
It's one of my favourites too, and it puzzles me why it wasn't on One Breath.  But then, maybe the song  didn't fit the themes Anna had in mind for that record? Or the sequence?  And the words have been changed quite a bit since we first heard it as well: maybe she isn't fully satisified with it, or wasn't when they were putting One Breath together.

I hope there will be a professional DVD released (much as I love the idea of the Alternate Universe where I can bring in cameras and directors and lighting rigs to record an Anna gig for my own personal gratification - thanks for cheering up a bleak January afternoon with that fantasy AC!!): it's just that over the years I've learned to be very wary about planned DVDs being released until I have a copy in my own hands.

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
In my humble opinion A Kiss to Your Twin is one of the best songs ever written on this planet and should have made it on the album. But maybe you're right and it was lyricly too much apart from the other themes on the album to fit in.
But it's evident that Anna must pretty much love the song, too, she plays it live at almost every show, she's definitely not giving it B-side treatment :).

As for the DVD: yeah, sure, I wouldn't expect a release before, say, spring, because it takes its time to edit stuff and make it the way Anna is pleased with it.
At least we know the show has been filmed, so something's supposed to happen one day- if not DVD then only TV broadcast comes into my mind.

Looks like Anna has started planning her festival summer:
http://www.zm.nu/2014/12/30/confirmaciones-navidenas-de-sonorama-2015/
Mox nox.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 05:45:08 PM »
Oh I'm only guessing - there could be far better reasons that I haven't thought of.  (There usually are.)  I agree it's a wonderful song and wish there was a full proper studio recording of it on an album but ...

Anyway.  Much as  I want a giant surround sound DVD full of extras and goodies like yesterday I hope Anna doesn't have to interrupt writing to master/edit/approve/whatever a DVD. 

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
AC:
Why split it all up in different threads? I'd recommend to write all comments suggesting this subject in here, no matter which album or B-sides.  I mean, A Kiss to Your Twin is a B-side, but I'm rambling on about it always here- and why not ;)?

wild_corgi:
Yeah, in the end it's always for us to guess and for Anna to know, but as she plays that song live so often, it won't have to share the fate of long forgotten B-side songs.

As for the DVD, I'm not really worried that arranging it would distract Anna too much from her main work, writing and recording, since she seems to love being a multi-tasking busy bee a lot :).
Mox nox.

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
Louise:

Because of the "Child Boards" (?)

OK, I admit you're right about that  ;).  But I can say in general, that I love Anna's music equally live and on record, there are not really Pro's and Con's.
Mox nox.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
I've been reading all the comment here with great interest and I think both live and studio are great, but different. Anna's never going to allow a sub-standard track to emerge from the studio and we all know what she gives live. To me both the recordings and the live performances are thrilling, but you get different things from each. There are things you can do in a studio that can't (as a rule) be done live but that doesn't mean they are better! The first time I saw Anna live I was struck by how like her albums she sounded, which for me is one of the key characteristics of a great artist - their talent shines through no matter what the medium. I think the live shows allow Anna to be a lot more expressive and adventurous with her guitar playing, as has been said, and I absolutely love that. I am also constanly amazed by her voice in live performances. I'll keep listening to her recorded music over and over, but if you pushed me to choose between live and studio I go for live; you get all the emotion, all the presence, all the feel and all Anna's raw energy. Anna's star quality hit me like a thunderbolt at the Burgundy Stain Sessions in Dublin in December last. She was performing with a lot of other very talented people, each of whom had their solo spot, but when Anna came to the front of the stage to give her solo performance, the whole place was energised - she oozed class and personality and all those intangible qualities. For me, as far as Anna is concerned, it has to be live!