Author Topic: John Carpenter  (Read 1148 times)

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
John Carpenter
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »
Anna posted this song by John Carpenter on her tumblr:

https://soundcloud.com/sacredbones/john-carpenter-night

Great tune, me thinks. I loved his soundtracks sometimes more than his films ;); my all time favourite- both film and music- is "The Fog".

This "Night"- song reminds me a bit of Tangerine Dreams- stuff and I'd like to think that Anna is perhaps getting into exploring electronic music and takes it as inspiration for her new album.
Mox nox.

Michael G

• View Profile
Re: John Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »
Hi Louise
     It certainly reminds me also of  the theme from Blade Runner by Vangelis .    I know that Anna likes these 80's Sci - Fi  films such as Terminator .
   Could be a possible direction for her.  There is a lot of intrest  in electronic music from this period, Kraftwerk , Amon Duul, Can etc, and she is friends with the great pioneer, Brian  Eno.

The only worry, would be that Mally and the rest of the band could be replaced by synthesizers !

Sad that Edgar Froese from Tangerine Dream died last week

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:40:54 PM by Michael G »

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
Re: John Carpenter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
Hi Michael,
Yeah, that's true and Vangelis did a lot of great soundtracks, too. Kraftwerk are of course the Gods of electronic music, so inventing and inspiring..
I remember Anna saying in her tumblr Q&A that she would like to experiment with electronic music as a side project, so maybe it wouldn't be a complete album, but an EP.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about the band, I suppose Anna wouldn't go totally electronic, but try and find a balance between synthesizer and real instruments.

Yeah, sad news about Edgar Froese's death, more sad news today with the death of Demis Roussos, Vangelis' former band mate of Aphrodite's Child, another great band.
Mox nox.