Author Topic: Songs you'd like to hear Anna cover?  (Read 1670 times)

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
Songs you'd like to hear Anna cover?
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »
Someone showed me Prince's new song today and mentioned they could see Anna covering it and I completely agree! I can hear her voice/interpretation so well: http://m.pitchfork.com/news/60199-prince-shares-hardrocklover/

So it made me wonder what songs everyone would love for Anna to put her own spin on. It's no surprise to any of us that she might be the best at doing covers (especially compared to the acoustic strummer I passed in town today singing Ed Sheeran)?

I'd also enjoy hearing her take on one of St Vincent's songs - not sure which though  ;D

And also Father John Misty's Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings (she could rock up the folk the way she deliciously twisted Wolf Like Me) but that's mostly because it's an incredible song and to hear something entirely different done with it too would be great.

Michael G

• View Profile
Re: Songs you'd like to hear Anna cover?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
It might seem a bit obvious, but after Foxy Lady, I would like to hear  Anna  have a go at more Hendrix numbers
 All along the watch tower, Purple Haze , Hey Joe etc, and I can just imagine her blasting out Voodoo Child live. 

As for ST. Vincent.    I would love to hear her attempt  Cheer Leader, although I am not sure the lyrics would suit her genteel english personality  ;)

amnis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »
A while ago I heard Chris Isaak's 'Wicked Game' and thought, this would sound very cool with Anna's voice....

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
It might seem a bit obvious, but after Foxy Lady, I would like to hear  Anna  have a go at more Hendrix numbers
 All along the watch tower, Purple Haze , Hey Joe etc, and I can just imagine her blasting out Voodoo Child live. 

As for ST. Vincent.    I would love to hear her attempt  Cheer Leader, although I am not sure the lyrics would suit her genteel english personality  ;)

Of course, All Along the Watch Tower is a Dylan song ....

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
You' re right, thanks Peter, must be all this heat !  :)

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »
Something byKate Bush, no matter which song, but maybe one of the many beautiful ballads. Also more of David Bowie, preferably a whole album with Bowie-covers  :).
Mox nox.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:42 PM »
Something byKate Bush, no matter which song, but maybe one of the many beautiful ballads. Also more of David Bowie, preferably a whole album with Bowie-covers  :).

I like the idea of an album of Bowie covers - I think... It's maybe a pity that Anna hasn't yet properly recorded Sound and Vision, given the version of it that she did way back for the 'Attic Sessions'. On the other hand, maybe Bowie's own versions are generally impossible to improve upon? I think that Anna's version of Lady Grinning Soul is excellent, and she does bring something new to it, but I can't really see her doing much else. I could well be wrong, however. Someone who does good covers of Bowie live is Camille O'Sullivan, but she is much better live than on record - her recorded versions of Bowie songs are but a pale imitation, I think.

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:24 PM »
I don't know Camille O' Sullivan, but Anna is one of the very few artists I'd approve to do more covers of Bowie, considering her natural talent of making cover versions sound like her own songs. I'd trust her to make his songs even more interesting, and that means something, because to me most of his songs are close to perfect. And Lady Grinning Soul is one of them, and yet Anna was capable to sort of recreate it with her incredibly distinctive voice.
Mox nox.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:15:55 AM »
I think Michael is on the right track by suggesting Anna does a St Vincent cover.
I'd love to hear Anna do a number of songs from the Strange Mercy album, especially Dilettante. Huge scope for Anna to interpret this song her own way and really embellish it with intricate guitar work.
As we all know from her live performances, Anna often displays the other side of her "genteel English personality" - which is partly what makes her so beguiling.