Author Topic: Montreux Jazz Festival - Switzerland - July 15th, 2015  (Read 4385 times)

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
Re: Montreux Jazz Festival - Switzerland - July 15th, 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »
Thanks so much AC for the still photos as well! Fabulous!

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
Can I confess here how much I envy the interviewer? That blouse........that blouse,  phew!   8) ;D
Mox nox.

AC

• View Profile

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
Video

- Desire

www.montreuxjazz.com/live-selection-anna-calvi-desire-15-july-2015

^What a weird live version! I kinda apreciate it ('cause it's different), although Anna's shouts, breaths and "wrong" lyrics.

I also think that it does not sounded like from this year and that she wanted to cover herself somehow. I really would like to watch more (she started to play 'LWBL' and it looked like it would be different as well).

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
Video

- Desire

www.montreuxjazz.com/live-selection-anna-calvi-desire-15-july-2015

^What a weird live version! I kinda apreciate it ('cause it's different), although Anna's shouts, breaths and "wrong" lyrics.

I also think that it does not sounded like from this year and that she wanted to cover herself somehow. I really would like to watch more (she started to play 'LWBL' and it looked like it would be different as well).

This is indeed, odd! Anna's got the lyrics to this song a bit wrong in the past - and this is getting it wrong, rather than trying out a different version. Also, does she come in a little sooner on Mally's harmonium than usual? It all seems a bit - well, rushed. And even a bit angry - not angry in that creative sense, but just fed up! I wonder if she's getting bored with Desire? I hope not, by the way! What was the rest of her performance like?

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »
Perhaps she was angry with whoever had arranged her touring schedule that week.
 Wednesday in Montreux, Thursday in Brittany, then all the way back to Lucerne on Friday.  London on Sunday.
 I think I would be very angry with this awful planning  >:(

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:45 PM »
Also, does she come in a little sooner on Mally's harmonium than usual? It all seems a bit - well, rushed. And even a bit angry - not angry in that creative sense, but just fed up! I wonder if she's getting bored with Desire?

Yep and I do agree with you. I guess she's trying to give a new 'face' to the songs. I'd suggest you to watch the live performances from the Rimini festival, especially: 'Cry' (Anna's pre-recorded backing vocals (?) and Ben's backing vocals + guitar lines changes), 'Sing to me' (changes on bass guitar tones) and 'Jezebel' (guitar intro instead drum intro).

What was the rest of her performance like?

I have no idea, and unfortunately I think we won't have more material (just like the scarce stuff of the 2011 performances of the same festival).

wait for me

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Perhaps she was angry with whoever had arranged her touring schedule that week.
 Wednesday in Montreux, Thursday in Brittany, then all the way back to Lucerne on Friday.  London on Sunday.
 I think I would be very angry with this awful planning  >:(

Or maybe she's angry that her guitar is scarcely audible. Either the amp didn't work or it's just the audio recording.
But I like this weird performance because it's so different!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:04:38 PM by wait for me »

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
Wow! Thanks to AC in particular for digging up some wonderful (and technically brilliant) photos.
And that smile of Anna's. I'd walk a million miles.................

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »
Nobody's perfect and maybe she had a shit day that day and Desire was the song that had to pay for it ;).

Michael, she's the boss, she could interfere on the tour schedule and demand from her tour manager or her super- hero Hiroki to make a smarter schedule that doesn't involve crazy back and forth travelling. It's not that she gets the dates just the day before the tour starts. But being chaotic herself, she probably doesn't mind.
Mox nox.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »
Emelia, thanks for finding these two videos. Really excellent.
Jezebel video is a  collector's item, I think. Anna is singing the French version (as on the record). On the second part of the first verse, at about 50 seconds, Anna sings the line "I've forgotten the words in French" and carries on! Did anybody even notice?
I love the camera work in this video, too. Really excellent angles and super lighting. Great shots of Mally and her harmonium and her other instruments. Did you notice the electronic readout beside Alex, obviuosly of the set list? It read CARRYMO.

AC

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:52:38 AM by AC »

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 04:05:16 PM »
Thanks AC.

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
@Riverrun

Did you try to save them? I tried, but I failed...

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
I just watched the full performance, and it's very interesting. Check it out on the thread "Video Downloads".

Some songs are performed differently; "Dreams" is on the set and Anna Calvi uses two guitars to play "Carry me over" (just like the one shown in the picture below):