Author Topic: Sexto 'Nplugged Festival - Sesto al Reghena, Italy - July 25th, 2015  (Read 4441 times)

AC

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:47:34 PM by AC »

Michael G

• View Profile
Re: Sexto 'Nplugged Festival - Sesto al Reghena, Italy - July 25th, 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »

Backstage rehearsal
   I wish I was there, concert setting looks amazing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:06:01 PM by Michael G »

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Hi AC and Michael, thanks for the great photos. Yeah, looks like it's going to be a marvellous concert at a beautiful venue.
Patrick seems in Bavarian mood with his leather pants- Eve, tell him to dress properly for the show :P.
Mox nox.

AC

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:40:20 PM by AC »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »

wait for me

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
An Anna concert on the computer at home is fun too - thanks for finding all these lovely pictures and videos!  :D
This must have been a wonderful evening for all those who were there!

When Anna is singing Penzance with Patrick Wolf (youtube video) she is wearing a black blouse and loose hair. Later on you can see her with a white blouse and tied back hair. Hard to believe she changed her clothes and hair style on one evening... Does anybody know something about it?

And what is Anna saying after "You are the best audience" before singing Eliza?

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »
Well, I was wondering that, too, maybe Patrick was sort of Opening Act and Anna joined him for this song and quickly changed and slicked her hair back after that.

And wow, Anna going on her knees in front of her fans- not turning into a St. Vincent style? ;). But she seems to really have enjoyed the gig and the audience. I only understood the word favourite, maybe my favourite audience or something like this?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:09:03 PM by Louise »
Mox nox.

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »
Woke up this morning.... I still think that Sesto al Reghena has been a dream....

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »
  There are a lot of pictures and information coming up on the Sing to Us Anna Calvi Facebook site , including an audio recording etc.

https://www.facebook.com/singtousannacalvi?fref=nf

Please go over and ' like ' their site.
   They are trying to give Anna some support, as we are.

The official Anna Calvi Facebook site seems to be completely dead  :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:39:41 PM by Michael G »

AC

• View Profile

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
This is kinda late, but I'm still on a high from this gig.  Incredible photos and sound recording - many, many thanks to everybody who was there and could and did take pics and record stuff. I can't do that. Really: I tried at Rimini and most of mine are not in focus.  As ever one of the best parts of the gig was meeting people who were there (you know who you are!) and I hope to meet you all again.

Also it's not an easy gig to report back on as it was incredibly intense.  Lots of things came together for that - the lightning storm, the incredible setting in the convent, the heat and humidity,  the intensity of the performances, and the very obvious rapport between Anna and you Italian fans.

Patrick Wolf’s short set was fearless and committed, great choice of songs, and he had a great rapport with the quartet. He won over a lot of people. Nobody expected Anna to join him for Penzance, real surprise that one.

I am pretty sure this is the first time Anna has done the choir & orchestra thing in Italy to an Italian audience. Take out us Anna fans on the night and most people will have been hearing this for the first time and needed very open ears and minds. It says a lot for Italian audiences who were not already Anna fans they could approach it in this way and support Anna taking this sort of risk and venturing into new territory; IMO  they immediately get the playing with building and releasing tension, and the balance of poise and wildness.

I'm sure I go wrong on some details but from my diary -

We start with the  eerie slow Bridge, which sucks you right in and is perfect late night moody music. Rider to the Sea is an immediate earthy and fiery contrast – if you wanted to go all Four Elements, then The Bridge is all air and water. Rider is poised and under control – but only just. You can tell there’s volcanic passion seething away under the surface. 

Sing to Me is slower, and slinkier than I remember it being before.  I really like it that way. 

First We Kiss starts to move into wilder territory,  with the strings and choir coming in to add depth and power.  Anna’s solo parts are fierce, but short – not dominating or going off somewhere else. Suzanne gets wilder, and Wolf Like Me done without the orchestra is downright savage , as is I’ll Be Your Man. At some point, and it might as well be this, I’m going to say that Anna is in very good voice and her diction is very clear.

Anna controls and varies the dynamics and tempo again with No More Words and the one duet with Patrick Wolf, Kiss to your Twin.  You get a sense of how well their voices must have clicked for them to think of working together. A lush and wild Desire heats things up again,  and Love Won’t Be Leaving is also intense – with the flamenco style solo doing different things from Rimini, but again exploring that lower register of the guitar.

Audience going wilder with every song, by the way: they’ve realised what Anna is doing with the pacing and intensity, and with the orchestra fading out for the middle of the set only to come back with major power at the end.  The mutual rapport with the audience is strong enough for Anna to say Grazie, and Thank You, several times, quite clearly. Although she does nearly forget to introduce the band and orchestra.

Jezebel happens. It’s not a personal favourite. Sue me.

Before Eliza Anna thanked the audience again and what I heard was “you are the best audience, a wonderful audience, my favourite audience.” 

Eliza’s orchestral arrangement takes us full circle to balance out The Bridge, and the Italians adore it. It’s my favourite of the orchestral arrangements because it takes the song somewhere different, which I had always hoped these performances were going to do.

Audience goes even wilder. Anna and band come out again. Anna fans surge to front. There’s nearly an impromptu moshpit except we are all too knackered and in awe of her.

Anna Does Stuff with pedal board to get going, then stays sorta half kneeling at the start of a knock out version of Ghostrider before standing up to communicate with the band to take it on.

And that’s it.

Elisa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:40 AM »
I'm still shocked after saturday night, seriously. I love Anna's music since 2011, and I was there when she came in Italy for the first time. I've seen other gigs, obviously, but I didn't expect something like that, really. It's been my favourite gig so far. There was a magic in the air, something inexplicable. The audience seemed absolutely in love with her music, and yes, Anna is well known here, but there were also some guys who had seen her for the first time. I've talked with some of them after the show and they were all excited and impressed, as predictable. there are some images stucked in my head, like the thundestorms in the sky, her smile when she thanked her fans in a (perfect!) italian, adding "you're the best audience". And a girl in the orchestra who looked amazed by her 'Jezebel', the electrifying performance of 'Wolf Like Me' (and you have to consider that I really like the original by TV On The Radio!), and the crazy epilogue, when someone behind me (probably Sonia) has literally dragged me to the stage.
"Had I not seen the Sun, I could have borne the shade. But Light a newer Wilderness my Wilderness has made."
                                                 Emily Dickinson

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
Thank you for your insights, wild_corgi and Elisa; it's great to see how the Italian fans have confirmed their reputation as the most enthusiastic and passionate ones and how Anna responded to this :). In the videos she seems very concentrated but also very relaxed at the same time.
Mox nox.

vonioje

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »
home, finally  8)

Sesto was pure magic, wild_corgi - it was a great pleasure meeting you :)

Louise, wait for me> Patrick was opening for Anna and after his set there was a short break, so, yeah, Anna had plenty of time to change her outfit and hair :))

Louise, have you enjoyed Patrick's  straitjacket? / :D

No photos from me this time cause crazy security guy almost broke my camera  ::)