Author Topic: Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th  (Read 6413 times)

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
I should've done this sooner but I've been working out train fares like a travel agent the last month or so, so I'll throw it up while I have time! Who's going? I'd still love to meet up and such if you do.  (I'll be there the 19th, sticking around ed til the 22.)

Can't believe it's so close! Which side do you reckon it'll be best to stand at?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
I'm going on 19th too, and I think riverrun is as well.  I'm staying round until the next day but going back late afternoon.  May be we should all meet up, but I don't know where to suggest as I don't know Edinburgh that well, certainly not that corner.

No idea where best to aim for if it's standing - with a band (and/or orchestra) Anna's lately been standing more or less centrally but with a dedicated wig out space to the right of the audience.

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:46:14 AM »
yeah! it's my first time in edinburgh too but my friend who i'm dragging along with me, she knows the place so i can ask her about it? i think i actually read there's some kind of outdoor something or other (i'm so helpful??) which we could use or i'll have a look for cafes and such and jump back in once i have!

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
Yes, I'm going, arriving mid-afternoon on the 19th. I'm actually staying around for Anna's concert on the 20th as well.
We could meet in Grassmarket, there a plenty of eateries and bars there and it's very close to the venue.
I'll check out a few if you like and suggest one.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:07:31 PM »
I think it's an all-seated concert, judging by the ticketing, so we don't get the option to stand anywhere.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »

Found this video of the venue.
  Looks very small and intimate.
 Wish I was going.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:47:51 PM by Michael G »

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 04:51:22 PM »
I think it's an all-seated concert, judging by the ticketing, so we don't get the option to stand anywhere.

Ooh bugger. Although this is really weird because a few weeks ago I had a dream where I went to an Anna concert and it was all seated. It was in a tiny venue (not sure where, probably a place that doesn't exist that I visit in dreams a lot) so we shall see if I had a premonition!

That'd be awesome if you could. My friend and I are in London and coming up the day of so should be free once we've checked in to our hostel. Probably roughly 3 or so?

And thank you for the link, Michael! My friend told me it was a small place but I wasn't expecting this small, really really cool.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
This looks an absolutely stonking venue. Thanks for finding the video, Michael.
I can't wait to get there.
Anybody else going apart from  Wild Corgi, Em and myself?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »
Yes thanks for the video! I thought it would be small when its site said "650" capacity but honestly in that configuration I think you'd struggle to fit 650 in. It looks more the size of Wilton's Music Hall, which is what, 300?

Finding a cafe in Grassmarket sounds like a good idea, Brian.

In the depths of the night I've been listening to Radio 3 and while that's obsessed with the Proms, they do allow as how there's something also going on in Edinburgh which they are broadcasting bits of.  There's a lot of music turning up on R6 and R2, as well as Antigone on BBC4 -  no mention of Anna, though. Perhaps in some highlights section? they're also doing a lot of that.

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
Randomly I'm wishing there was some way that st Vincent's fans would catch on to Anna, she has an expanding fan base and I've heard her on the radio a couple of times, I've only really heard Anna on radio 6 but she was playing in the rovers once. Ahem not that I watch soaps or have friends that message me whenever they hear Anna.

Can you guys shoot me an email at wnsos@icloud? Can either sort out deets of a place to meet through there or via text since who knows if EE will be kind to me for using lots of data or not. Less than a week to go!!

ALSO not sure if you're both interested but there's a funny play on after the gig based on The Room. And it's a musical and it's going to be hilarious so if you feel like tagging along, by all means. It's free too.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 01:10:32 AM »
I was at St. Vincent's gig in Dublin last month. She is the consumate slick performer. Really good show. I  have a few videos of the shows if you want the link. She doesn't have Anna's intrigue or mystery, but I do like the ultra cool way she plays the guitar.
Will email or text you with a place to meet up and yeah, the play afterwards sounds good.

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 12:05:37 AM »
oh man yeah? how was it?

i saw her "too many" times last year. she was incredible (although i was having massive personal issues at the time and was semi-distracted, she managed to nab my glasses and i got to play her guitar so that was wicked) and i'd love to see her again once her next album comes around.

perfect! looking forward to it  :) slightly discombobulated still but all'll be well come weds.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »

Has anybody found this interview ?
 And what a beautiful photo !

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »
Saw this photo on Anna's Facebook page - it's beautiful.
Might get to pick up a copy of the  article in Edinburgh.
Thanks Michael.