Author Topic: Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th  (Read 7184 times)

Michael G

• View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/edinburgh-2015-anna-calvi-the-hub-review/

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/edinburgh-festival/anna-calvi-and-heritage-orchestra-edinburgh-fringe-review-a-performer-utterly-in-control-of-the-visual-aesthetic-and-the-sonic-10462371.html

These  are reviews  from The Telegraph and The Independent.

Thanks for the pictures AC.
  In the first picture there seems to be a vacant seat in the front row ..... very strange  !

From  the pictures this appears to be virtually the same line up  as Anna played with at The Citadel Festival, apart from
Jules Buckley.

Looking forward to reports from Wild Corgi, Riverrun and Em when they return  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:33:12 PM by Michael G »

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
Thank you AC for the pictures and recordings. The Telegraph and Independent reviews are great. God, I wish I was in Edinburgh!

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 01:12:17 AM »
SO GOOD. Slightly (a bit/23 hours without sleep) tired and will come back here but meeting Lin and Brian was so wonderful. (Owe you guys drinks - !!) and Anna. Oh dear sweet Anna. Shredding up an actual storm. The string section was so on point to me I had a bit of a Stendhal moment if you will. Just really beautiful and I'm so glad I came. I was tempted to snap a photo but I saw someone on ig had said you weren't allowed and so, alas, I did not. Managed to be in front of my beloved Mally again and I'm reaaaally liking the new keys player. Glenn was great too but I feel like ben(?) really fits with the others. Kiss to your twin was probably my favourite performance of the night but I may be slightly biased since its my favourite song.

I think my funniest observation of Brit-heavy audiences is that we all wait for someone to make the first clap?? Quite funny. Had such a good night though, thank you xo

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »
I can echo all that Em said, except that from where Lin and I were (the opposite side of the venue)
The sound was a bit harsh at times - we were directly in front of speakers!
Anna was very strong ; a powerful performance, with some new nuances to old songs.
Some beautiful delicate moments and Anna demonstrated more of her Flamenco
Influences than I'd heard from her before - Love Won't Be Leaving a case in point.
Overall a really good gig, even if the audience seemed a little subdued at times.
I was hounded by a security guy so although I took videos, and the sound
Should be ok, the pictures largely do not focus on Anna. I had to just lie the camera on
My lap.
There was no Carry Me Over and Anna played for 75 minutes.
I'm on holidays for the next week so won't get a chance to upload anything until I return.

Robarticus

• View Profile
'I draw my name in the sand in the hope it’ll find you.'

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:07:38 PM by AC »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »

These are the program notes from last night , kindly sent to me by Riverrun.

I wonder who used this microphone ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:18:59 AM by Michael G »

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
Currently recording an exclusive session with @annacalvi & @HeritageOrc for @guardianmusic & YouTube. #EdintFest ^N

Source: https://twitter.com/edintfest & www.facebook.com/EdintFest
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:20:50 PM by AC »

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
August 20th, 2015

Pics

('Rider to the sea' wasn't played)

https://instagram.com/p/6n8DyDJ4_t/

https://instagram.com/p/6n3ks7htTc/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:43:50 PM by AC »

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
Just back and Festivalled out: actually this is sort of my kind of festival, mostly indoors, no mud, located in a proper city en fête and the weather at its worst was only vaguely dreich.

It was great to meet up with Brian and Em and her friend  Amy, looking forward to meeting up with you again at Meltdown and/or later.

I’d forgotten that this was the first year – new director – that the main Festival had invited anything that could be called rock/pop music, so new territory here for the Festival, Anna, and the Heritage Orchestra.  That brought a lot of bemused Edinburghers in,  as there was a fair  bit of publicity for the 3 Hub gigs in the Scottish press, including something in a local newspaper Festival supplement here

https://twitter.com/scotonsunday/status/632112935209406464

I don’t know if that interview/article ever made it online but if it ever did it’s now been swallowed up by the E-Oort Cloud. 

Riverrun and I nearly didn’t make it into the Hub as it’s just downhill from the Castle which as hosting the Tattoo, whose participants were due to march out at  ... 10.30.  But we zipped through a gap and made it in: we’d booked separately but ended up in the same seats. Em an Amy on the other side.

Great atmospheric venue:  a proper avenue of columns, mosaic floors and a Grand Staircase to get into the hall itself, all the walls painted blood red, which is either very Burke and Hare, or very Anna, depending on your mood.

The timelapse video didn’t show the balcony section of the hall, which was also in use, mostly full, and where they’d put the mixing desk and the light controller.  (I can't say much about the lighting,  because I wasn't paying much attention apart from being grateful they've stopped the back projection from War of The Worlds searchlights, and noticing  yeah, it was quite atmospheric. )

It was a great but frustrating gig, and all down to the sound.  We were right in front of one set of the speakers – house right, facing the orchestra with Anna & band on the other side.  At times the sound was harsh, as Riverrun says, and unbalanced, and the dynamics were extreme, either very quiet, turned up to 11 – or turned up to 11 ½.  Mind, at all times Anna’s voice was perfectly weighted to project without  her guitar dominated, followed by very poundy drums to the virtual exclusion of Mally and Ben. At the same time,  we could hear lots of delicate details from the orchestra and chorus: either the arrangements have continued to evolve, or they’d not been brought up enough in the mix before.

I do think the orchestra and choir are underused, now, and would like to hear more of them.

And it was all really frustrating because Anna was giving an incredibly strong performance – there were lots of dreamy guitar touches and flourishes, Anna sang so well and her improvisations were so imaginative and expressive ...  Mind, I can’t say I always heard Alex  reciprocating with a delicate touch, but that was probably down to the mix. 

The Bridge – which I really like as an opener, it has an unearthly soundscape with the quiet wordless chorus at the intro, and that’s from me who is normally driven to pick up an axe by vocalise.  It hasn’t registered with me before, but here’s Anna starting the gig with the song that closed One Breath, and ending it with a song that more or less opened that album.

Rider – Anna’s developing the contrasts here, it’s getting louder and wilder where it needs to, or more inventive.  Sing to Me has never been a personal favourite, but the arrangement for orchestra has been getting more inventive and really adds to the song.  Then a contrasting section with the band kicks in, hard, driven by Alex for Suzanne and I – only for the soaring strings to come back into First We Kiss, where Anna’s voice conveys in turns a dreamy eroticism, painful yearning and sexual authority  - which is only really bettered by the later, solo, Fire.

But first Anna takes the chance of the fiercer and grungier Wolf Like Me and I’ll Be Your Man, where solos and short improvs are wild, and you can hear Anna and Alex really rocking  out.

Doing Fire solo after all that is risky –  solo anything is a huge change after the entire band have surged through the previous two songs. But in many ways it’s the biggest and loudest performance of the night: partly it’s because Anna will take chances with dynamics and the range of her voice,  partly because of the sheer ferocity of her playing, and mostly because of how expressive her singing is in it.

A more controlled but urgent No More Words brings band and orchestra & choir back together – Anna’s solo has lots of delicate nuances, and the quiet ending drifts us back beautifully into Kiss To Your Twin.  Without a duet partner, it’s a very different song solo as there’s more space for delicate touches on the guitar without having to keep an eye on somebody else: with just Anna it turns into an unsettling and foreboding dreamscape on the edge of turning into a nightmare.

Back to rocking out with Desire – I swear the intro was the first time I heard Mally – and Love Won’t Be Leaving, where Anna's solo is keeping the flamenco style slow start and low intro over an insinuating shaker beat from Alex that ratchets up the tension almost unbearably.

Jezebel blablabla and the spectral non-rock out version of Eliza brings us back to where we came into the Annaverse, only this time wiped out and elated.

After nearly a year of (OK, sporadic) Anna gigging with Jules/Charlie and the various orchestras, I really think everybody has got the hang of what they can do, and what could be possible: I think the arrangements have evolved, the relationship between Anna as writer and soloist and the conductors has developed, and it looks like this could go somewhere special, and I really hope it does. I’m also looking forward to the guardianmusic special that AC told us about.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
Lin, thanks for the absolutely brilliant review of Edinburgh Wednesday gig.
I'd forgotten about having to (nearly) crash the Tattoo party to get into the Hub!
The things we Calvi fans get up to!
As we had discussed, I switched my ticket to the balcony for Anna's 3rd and final Hub
Night on Thursday. The difference was immediately
noticeable, with a beautiful warm, rich, smooth and perfectly balanced sound throughout.
I don't know if this was down solely to the different location in the venue
Or whether the sound team finally got their act together, but any harshness from
The previous night had disappeared.
During her set Anna made reference to the fact that this was the last of 3 nights
And she seemed to want to put down a marker to, if you like, commemorate that fact.
The audience seemed to be made up of a lot more Anna fans than on Wednesday with
Sustained applause after many of the songs, someone shouting out how marvellous Anna was
And a standing ovation before the encore and again after it. I thought Anna was going
To appear for a 2nd encore because the applause just went on and on, with hooting and hollering.
The other good news is that I got some good video as I was "hidden" (most of the time) from the
Security chaps. Won't know for certain until I get home next Friday but I will upload them sometime
Over the weekend of 29th / 30th.
I got myself into the so-called "VIP" bar afterwards and had a couple of drinks,
But no sign of Anna, alas! Not by the time I left anyway. I had written a card for her
Before the gig and was hoping to deliver in person. But a very helpful event person
Assured me that she would without fail get the card to Anna.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 04:11:30 PM »
Brian thanks for this - so glad you had a chance to hear what Anna + orchestra + band can actually produce at their best, they are phenomenal together.

Impressed with your getting into the VIP area! And yes the audience were quite subdued on Wednesday. Maybe it's the thing about second nights, as opposed to first and last ones.  Glad Anna felt it was as special a residency as we did.

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »
August 20th, 2015

Video

- Jezebel (F & E)

https://instagram.com/p/6u5pLdOLSj/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:03:30 PM by AC »

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
Caught up on the train. You guys both put it so much better than I could. I was saying to someone yesterday how we couldn't hear the mix properly really, but we were directly in front of Mally so could hear her instruments. But only just barely. It was still a lovely venue I think and Amy loved it which made me really happy. (Another convert!)

I'm also curious as to whether or not we overheard the recording as we were walking around the castle early afternoon Thursday and came up sort of behind the hub? I, or at least I thought I heard music and assumed it was an early soundtrack so either I did hear it or I had wishful thinking. (Probably the latter...)

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 09:32:34 PM »
Thanks to both Wild Corgi and Riverrun for these: I really, really wish I could have been at Edinburgh but your accounts are the next best thing. Wild Corgi: any chance of a similar, detailed and perceptive review of Meltdown??