Author Topic: Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th  (Read 7183 times)

Riverrun

• View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Festival - August 18-20th
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
You're welcome, Petefrombristol. I thought Wild Corgi's review
from Edinburgh was one of the best ever; I agree that it would
be great if she did a similar one for Meltdown!
It'll be Friday or Saturday before I upload the videos from Edinbugh;
sorry about the delay, nothing I can do about it!

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 05:22:17 PM »
Interview + Eliza

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:35:43 PM by AC »

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
Thanks AC. Happy nemories!

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
Interview + Eliza

Many thanks AC: this is so very beautiful! Anna really seems to have found her niche with these orchestral collaborations.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
Thanks AC for finding and linking to the Guardian interview and performance!

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »
The Hub, Edinburgh. Wild_Corgi described the setting for Anna’s three-day residency beautifully.
It was indeed a wonderfully atmospheric venue, almost gothic. As we took our seats, I noticed that one of the security men was perched on a stool no more than 10 feet to my right and with the outright ban on any photography, I knew it would be almost impossible to get any video, let alone be able to focus on quality. This was Wednesday night (Anna’s second night) and trying to operate the camera from memory, without looking at it, I held it at chest level cupped in my hands, hoping that I would not be seen. I managed to get videos of Anna’s opening to the show, The Bridge and Rider to the Sea.
From where Wild_Corgi and I were sitting, the sound did seem unbalanced. I’ve done a little tweaking on the audio so I think the sound is reasonable, Anna’s voice in particular is clear, but the Heritage Choir are a little muffled. This may be partly due to me having my big awkward fingers all over the microphones on the camera, as I was having to do all this without looking at what I was doing for fear of drawing attention to myself.
During The Bridge, you could hear a pin drop – and it did! Bang!
At about 4:48 into the recording (just when the choir join in) a second spotlight comes on above Anna and creates a star-like image over her; it’s a surreal moment and I think very appropriate. I thought Anna was looking particularly lovely tonight; I loved the way she wore her hair. 
At the end of Rider to the Sea the security man came right up against my seat and I had to lower the camera and half cover it; I let the camera run and have a lot of the remaining concert on sound, but no pictures other than of ceilings and the back of peoples’ heads.
Here’s the link:   

Much more video  to follow soon from the Thursday night, Anna's third and final night at The Hub 2015.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 01:11:56 AM »
I was going to be at the concert again the following night (Thursday) and Wild_Corgi and I both felt that the sound might be more balance up on the balcony and I might have a better chance of getting some decent video. So on Thursday morning I managed to change by ticket from the Stalls to the Balcony. It was a good viewpoint as you could move around (no seating) and I had a very clear view of the stage, able to see Mally and Alex (and Ben) as well as most of the Heritage Orchestra and Choir. However, if anything, I was even more exposed to the security staff, who had been extremely vigilant the previous night with anyone attempting to take photos. My strategy was to drape my jacket over the rail and “balance” the camera in the jacket’s folds, hoping to have it roughly focused on Anna. Before going to the Hub I had blacked out the camera display so that it would not emit any light. I decided that I would record most of the concert in as few as possible videos, so that I could forget about operating the camera and just enjoy Anna’s performance. This is largely what transpired, with mixed, but acceptable, results given the circumstances.
A stray arm enters into view for a brief outing near the start of Suzanne & I; gave the culprit a stern warning! My camera was caught in the line of fire for almost the entire I’ll Be Your Man by a blinding strobe behind Anna, rendering her almost invisible. Note Mally on the bass for this song.
Here’s what I got from my second night at the Hub Sessions.
1.   Suzanne and I            0:00 to 3:55
2.   Wolf Like Me                 4:15 to 8:53
3.   I’ll Be Your Man         9:06 to 12:40
4.   Fire                           12:52 to 16:12

The beginning of No More Words is at 16:30 but only until 17:13. Most of this is on another video, to follow

Here’s the link for 4 songs listed above, all on one video:

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
Thank you  Riverrun for these videos.
 Your ingenuity and audacity has really benefited us   :)
 Looking forward to the next one

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
Indeed, Riverrun: this is splendid!

amnis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »
Thank you so much, Riverrun!!!

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Here are two more videos from The Hub Sessions, Edinburgh International Festival 2015, final night:

No More Words      (beginning  of this on previous video - sorry!)

A Kiss To Your Twin

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »
These were a couple of special nights for me and it was lovely meeting up with Wild-Corgi and Em.
I was really able to relax and enjoy Anna’s concert particularly on the Thursday. This is the first time that I heard live performances of “Wolf Like Me” and “A Kiss to Your Twin” and that was very memorable.
I hope you enjoy the videos as much as I have taking them and that you get something of the atmosphere of the occasion

Here's the last of the videos from Edinburgh 2015:

Desire and Love Won't Be Leaving

jezabel12

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
here is amy audio file :  wednesay only , 19.08.15 , as i am not good with this technical stuff, hopefully it will work?????????

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wvlg7opqunfq545/AADcnsWty6sSmUaK6p23012Sa?dl=0

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »
Thanks Jezebel 12 for uploading these files for us .
 They both play well :)

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »
Thanks a lot, Riverrun for all your efforts of filming the show and for generously sharing the videos here :).

Thank you also Jezabel for the audiofiles.
Mox nox.