Author Topic: Suzanne & I  (Read 1112 times)

electriclight

• View Profile
Suzanne & I
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
I know it's an old one... But what do you guys think of the video? Appropriate for the song, or a misinterpretation? I don't like how they did Anna's makeup and hair :(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qIDj0SVWeBU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qIDj0SVWeBU</a>

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suzanne & I
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »
It's not bad. But it does feel a bit like the director just listened to the song and went 'oh Suzanne & I, we'll have 2 women dancing then'. But they did keep the dreamlike element, which was nice.

Looking at some screencaps of My Winnipeg, it has some really surreal imagery...

^ Considering it is inspired by that, I would have liked to have seen something more dark and twisted. I thought it would have been cool to have Suzanne representing death and trying to drag the narrator into the underworld with her, with "never will we be apart" seeming sinister for the music video. Anna should have played Death! And lured her minions into the underworld! I would have followed her!

What are your thoughts?

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
Re: Suzanne & I
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »
I'm afraid I really like this video. Quite apart from Anna looking extraordinary, I think that the film provides a convincing
and coherent interpretation of the song: an interpretation, of course, not necessarily the 'true' one. I think it does convey the
 darkness and difficulty, with the two women wrenched apart (by a group of men ... Hmmmm) and only managing to get back
 together at the very end. I think that this creates considerable tension, since it looks as though the film will end with their
Failure, but at the very last moment they attain some kind of victory.