Author Topic: Domino Records filing copyright claims against fan-filmed Anna videos.  (Read 5949 times)

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ughhh I am so annoyed. I've had my personal youtube account for like 5 + years so it has all my stuff on it.

I just logged in now and noticed it had been suspended, because I had a couple of shitty quality videos that I filmed of Anna performing at Laneway in 2012 on it. They weren't even the full songs, but for some reason today Domino decided to go and file copyright claims against them all. They barely had any views too. And on Anna's Birthday... who would do such a thing smh!?

This has just left a really sour taste in my mouth. I'm really pissed off about losing my other videos on there. I don't even want to think about the thousands of dollars I've spent supporting one of their artists and all the time and effort it has taken to run my blog/this forum. I feel like deleting it now.

Thanks Domino  ::)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:13:53 PM by moulinette »

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
Re: Rant
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »
That's terrible! Does this mean now you don't have any access to your own videos filmed at Laneway? This is ridiculous as IMO you own the copyright since you filmed them.  I wonder if this could be even just the beginning of something, considering how many fans have filmed gigs and put them on youtube. What's come over Domino, are they going nuts?
Did you write to them and ask what's up?

But don't give up on this, if they don't appreciate all your support, hard work and money you spent to spread the word on Anna- we, and especially Anna do! I'm sure she's pissed, too, when she'll find out.

So keep on rocking, don't let them get you down! :)
Mox nox.

hypnos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that, it's terrible  indeed!!! Why, for Christ's sake, are they doing this??? Maybe they care to explain?
Don't give up, Molly, you are doing a great job!!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:34:30 PM by hypnos »

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
Hm, maybe I can help you. I've saved (about 80%) of Anna Calvi stuff (audio and video) from several websites. Just tell me which performance/s you wish, and I will try to upload it/them.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
That's total bullshit. Domino don't even own the copyright... Anna does for the music and words. Would Anna object to her fans posting clips of gigs? I think Anna would be happy. I can understand copying of her albums and TV appearances where she would stand to lose money, but this is totally different.

Anna's promotion and social media is entirely fan driven, and banning what is essentially fans sharing their experiences is total bullshit. People share and get into Anna this way... they buy albums and attend gigs. I bet loads of people on here have attended extra gigs because of the sense of community from sites like this and sharing clips of gigs. I know I have.

This is heavy handed and incredibly naive and not to mention short sighted of domino. What total cockwombles... We aren't talking piracy we are talking about them pissing off their fans and main source of free promotion. They are lucky they have fans running chat rooms and hosting blogs, because we get fuck-all encouragement. Anna deserves better quite frankly (though some more of her excellent q and a's on tumblr wouldn't go amiss)

Aaaaaand relax. I hope they see sense and give you your account back.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »
Just like to say that I totally agree with all that has been said.
 It is totally beyond me what Domino is trying to achieve through this.
    As we have discussed before, Anna gets no support or promotion from Domino or her inept management.
   This year we have all done a huge amount of work in promoting Anna,s gigs , and reporting them after , they have done absolutely nothing.

After a brief resurgence ,her Facebook site is once again dead and useless.  It is Anna, birthday today,  but needless to say no mention on Fbook or Twitter.

As for banning videos, it would be excusable if Domino offered an alternative.
    But the official Video of Anna and Patrick Wolf is technically one of the worst videos I have seen.  The lighting is terrible , all backlight, with Anna playing in the dark most of the time .  A lot of it is not even in focus.
  Most of the Youtube vidoes taken on I-Phones are far better than this amateurish crap.
  If this is the best they can do to promote Anna, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Anna puts her heart and soul into her work, but gets no help at all from her useless management or record company.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:52:44 PM by Michael G »

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »
I can't say much more about this other than that I agree with all that's been said. Domino are behaving very badly over this. Molly: why the Hell are you of all people being picked on?

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:30:03 PM »
Hm, maybe I can help you. I've saved (about 80%) of Anna Calvi stuff (audio and video) from several websites. Just tell me which performance/s you wish, and I will try to upload it/them.

Ahh thank you so much! I lost Suzanne & I, Blackout and Wolf Like Me (and my personal videos, but not much can be done about that).

Thank you everyone for listening to my rant. Obviously I won't delete my blog, I was just really annoyed. I filed counter notifications saying I filmed and own the videos, but I'm not sure if it will do much good.  It says I will get a response in 10 business days. They make it very easy to file a copyright claim (click of a button), but to counter file you have to fill out a form with all your personal details like name, address, phone number and agree that the person who filed the claim can take you to court now if they wish. All of this even if you are the rightful owner.

Also I would be worried about other fan filmed Anna videos on youtube now. I thought maybe it might have been an automated thing that happened, like they ran the song and removed the videos automatically that matched, but it said they had all been manually detected and reported.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:32:48 PM by moulinette »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 06:38:06 PM »
I have a few videos and MP3s  saved to Google Drive.
  Here is the link

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7QcUIjp39P4N3lvazRveFMzNG8&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:39:50 PM by Michael G »

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
Moulinette, this all sounds quite sinister and hard to understand.
I'm really sorry to hear that you've lost these recordings completely.
I also have these 3 songs on YouTube , my personal videos, as well as many others  and (so far) these have not been touched.
You are obviously more famous than me!

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
My friend just emailed me (I won't name her name, as I don't think she has an account here) but she  said Domino have also filed copyright claims against Anna videos she filmed herself too and had them removed now.

I'm wondering if I should contact them. I don't know how they get any benefit from this as no one is making money off the videos they are deleting. I just really don't get what they are trying to achieve... remove all fan filmed videos from youtube? There will be barely any videos left of Anna if that happens and how will that help her promotion wise...

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
I remember having read something a few months ago about a clash of interests between youtube and all Indie labels, saying that as a result of this they might remove all videos of every indie and alternative artist from youtube. But this was about official videos, not those filmed by fans.
Still it could be connected with what's happening right now. So maybe it would be a good idea if you'd ask Domino what this is all about.
Mox nox.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »
Late to this as I've been stuck at work and watching this unfold with a sense of deep frustration for you, Molly. I'm very glad you're not deleting the blog/forum and were just ranting, but yeah, you have to wonder what the point is.

It's just not right what's been done: it feels completely off today of all days, with you being singled out (- before the contagion spread to your understandably nameless friend. )

Domino are being very shortsighted on this, as other people have said better than I can:  can't imagine what Domino hope to acheive long-term for their artist by doing this. There's been more energy being put by somebody into taking down your stuff link by link, video by video, than in positively promoting Anna's work.

So you have my personal support - I don't have a rich personal archive like AC has, but I will trawl what I have saved to see if I've got any of the Anna items you missed.  Guess we all better back things up properly from now on.   

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »
Here goes:

2012-01-30 - Laneway Festival - Auckland, New Zealand

- Blackout - https://vid.me/UxgOhttps://vid.me/3JSB
- Suzanne & I - https://vid.me/pEXm
- Wolf like me - https://vid.me/DtTu
+ Desire - https://vid.me/wn8i

Feel free to ask for more stuff, girls & boys.  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:39:02 AM by AC »

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »
Again, I've got nothing to add to what's already been said, so I'm just posting this to add my support to Molly.  Also, as has also been said several times, what can Domino possibly gain from this? No one is making any money from this, and no one - not Anna, her management or Domino - is losing money - in fact, quite the reverse.