Author Topic: Domino Records filing copyright claims against fan-filmed Anna videos.  (Read 6253 times)

Michael G

• View Profile
Re: Domino Records filing copyright claims against fan-filmed Anna videos.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:37 PM »
I think this business raises the fundamental question of what we are trying to achieve on this forum .

All this year we have all  put a lot of time and effort into advertising and reporting Anna's concerts.
 But we have basically been doing what should be Anna 's managers job.  He seems  unwilling, or more likely incapable, of doing what he is paid for.  We have not minded as we think Anna deserves  our support.

Now we have been given another kick in the teeth by Domino, who have decided  that they do not want the  fans videos of Anna ,s concerts which have only been taken to help promote her, and share with other fans.

I think it is about time that Anna herself took a more active role in her PR and management, because it very much looks as if we are not wanted.
  I am sure this is not true, but the way things are going, Anna could end up with a huge hole in her fan base.
   She will soon be bringing her new album out on Domino, the label which has now thoroughly alienated her fans .

We still think Anna is amazing, but we need serious encouragement to keep going !

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:53:52 PM by Michael G »

wait for me

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »
Oh, this sounds really weird and sad.   :(
The longer I'm trying the less I can understand Domino Records reasons.

If you like to, let's all contact them and ask for their motivation.
youtube@dominorecordco.com

Maybe we can get a statement which helps us to comprehend.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
Oh, this sounds really weird and sad.   :(
The longer I'm trying the less I can understand Domino Records reasons.

If you like to, let's all contact them and ask for their motivation.
youtube@dominorecordco.com

Maybe we can get a statement which helps us to comprehend.

Thanks for this link. For what it's worth, I've written the following to Domino:
Dear Domino,

I note that very recently you have started to remove fan photographs and recordings made during concerts from social media sites. Personally, I have not been one of the people to post such material, but I have very much enjoyed these images. The particular object of my affection is Anna Calvi. I am writing to ask you why you are doing this. I know that technically such images infringe the copyright held on these shows, but, surely, copyright law exists to protect the interests of the artists themselves. I do not believe that your actions are protecting the interests of such artists in your stable as Anna Calvi, but I would be genuinely interested to hear your reasoning behind this action. Not only do I not believe that the posting of such images harms the interests of artists such as Anna Calvi, but I believe that they have the opposite effect. Here are my reasons. Primarily, they serve to spread the word and act as excellent publicity for the artist concerned. Certainly, the Anna Calvi fan site has attracted many new fans, and much of the attraction lies in being able to share and post images. If all that was available were the officially-sanctioned images and official publicity, then, frankly, the artist would be very poorly served. Secondly, it is not the case that fans sharing unofficial images in any way detract from income streams generated by the artist's work. Again, the effect is exactly the opposite: every single fan who benefits from these unofficial images also buys every record, a great deal of merchandise, and attends as many concerts as possible. In what way, might I ask, do these unofficial images represent harm to the income stream generated by the artist? If there was, say, a DVD and/or live album of one or more of Anna Calvi's concerts, then the fans would of course buy these, irrespective of whatever alternative, unofficial material was available. I have a little more respect for the argument that the artist wishes to maintain a certain quality for the record (whether that's in terms of audio or audio/visual) of her live concerts, and, in Anna Calvi's case, I am aware that she herself has had misgivings about her concerts being recorded - professionally - but these doubts seem to have been overcome by the time of the gig at St John's Hackney in December, when the performance was professionally filmed - albeit, it seems, with unsatisfactory results. However, does anyone really believe that unofficial images would be mistaken for official ones, or that some of these images which are poor-quality would cause viewers to abandon the artist? Again, very nearly the opposite is true: fans put up with poor quality images because there are insufficient official ones, and their desire for more images of their favourite artist is nowhere near sated by these.
Your actions risk alienating a hitherto loyal and growing body of fans who have invested a great deal of their time, money and emotional energy in Anna Calvi - and I am sure this also applies to other artists - and who feel that your actions represent, in effect, not only a kick in the teeth for them but also, if I may mix metaphors, a very serious and dangerous own goal on your part.

I very much look forward to your reply.

Peter Fleming

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 10:21:36 PM »
Pete, thanks a lot for doing this. Now let's wait and see if they have the balls to reply to you in all honesty or if they'll either cowardly hide in their corner and won't reply at all or if they'll reply with just a bunch of empty phrases without explaining anything.
Mox nox.

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
2015-06-20 - Holland Festival - Amsterdam, The Netherlands

- Strange weather - https://vid.me/3McB

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
Thank you AC! brings back a great memory of that amazing gig.

In the lighting in this version, it looks like Patrick's hair is the colour of Anna's lipstick ...  well, it amused me, anyway.

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Pete, a superbly constructed and composed letter, which puts brilliantly the argument for not taking down Anna Calvi postings.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »
No reply from Domino yet. Maybe everyone should write to them, using Wait fior Me's Domino email address. However, let's try to be even-tempered and reasonable (which it's becoming harder to be!) because abuse probably won't get us anywhere - though it's tempting!

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »
This is a quote from the Domino policy page.
   What hypocrites !

"In one sense, we’re in the hearts and homes of like-minded folk attracted to the brave and the bold as well as the strange and beautiful, those who know for a fact there is secret music that can change your live.

In another more physical sense; Wandsworth, South West London with offices in Brooklyn and Berlin, Domino staff in Singapore and Australia and an army of awesome, music obsessed reps around the world.

Question still unanswered?

Feel free to email us! "

This is their email address :  enquiries @dominorecordco.com

wait for me

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
No reply from Domino yet but from Anna's management:

"We are sorry to hear your account has been deactivated. That seems very over the top from Youtube. We have spoken to Domino and supposedly there is a way to reactivate your channel. I have passed on your details to Domino and Youtube to get your channel back online ASAP.

We have also been informed that in order to avoid this happening again the videos that were taken down must either be removed from your account or made available only for private viewing within 24 hours.

Please feel free to forward this message to other fans who have experienced similar problems.

Kind regards,

Rob

- - -
Rob MacAllister
Giant Men Management"

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »
Very glad to hear that individual fans may get their accounts (and videos?) back.

I'll leave it to the account holders to decide if they are completely happy with the outcome.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »
Are we suppose to believe this has anything to do with YouTube? They are only doing what they do when someone files a copyright claim. This is all down to domino not wanting fan videos on YouTube. Why are we being spun some bollocks? Domino need to lay clear their policy rather than trying to fob us off with a load of old shit
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:46:09 PM by MrCricket »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »
This is really just' passing the buck'
 Giantmen are blaming Domino who are then blaming Youtube
 Domino should explain why they are closing whole accounts, rather than just the videos they object to.
 They should clarify why certain videos are considered against copyright.
  Giantmen should then explain the situation to us, this would be protecting the interests of their client ( Anna Calvi ) who is paying them.
  At the moment Anna,s fans are being alienated and upset by a problem which we know is not her fault.
  It is her managements job  to act as an intermediate and resolve the problem on her behalf.

AC

• View Profile
Re: Rant
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »
Some youtube channels are available again.

(For example, www.youtube.com/user/Bambushirse)