Author Topic: Unreleased Rider To The Sea Video  (Read 1251 times)

Michael G

• View Profile
Unreleased Rider To The Sea Video
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »

I have never seen this before.
   Does anybody know anything about it ?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Unreleased Rider To The Sea Video
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »
Hmm I sort of remember this from another place  ;)

It was very early on; it might have had two other early videos as companion pieces, filmed in the crypt of some church near Waterloo.  Was the general concept the man in the video remembering his life

No, I didn't download it and add tags, need anybody ask? DOH

Doubtless somebody better informed will drop by in a minute and put me right

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
Thanks Wild Corgi
  Also I  wondered if it was one of Anna,s paintings.
  I have a very early internal Domino promo Cd of the first album  where the first track is just titled ' Instrumental '.
  Perhaps this is where she got the title from ?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
I think it's one of Charles Vickery's seascapes -  that other seascape painting that turned up everywhere, including as the backdrop to the Troxy show was his Ocean Drama

Just rewatched the video, and it occurred to me, if the man is remembering his life: what's his relation to the music, the player and the painting? The soundtrack to his life? a sort of madeleine?  is Anna as musician his younger self, a lover, only there to play? and where does the sea come into it? So short and so mysterious.

Yes agree the title could have come from the video!

Riverrun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:16:41 AM »
Thanks Michael for the “Rider to the Sea” video; I hadn’t seen it before.

This video, for me at any rate, helps to clarify the meaning behind the music. I think the man is remembering his past life living near the sea; perhaps he even made his living from the sea. The joy on his face soon turns to sorrow and then horror when he remembers some awful tragedy that happened on the sea – a tragedy that deeply impacted on his life.  This possibly involved the loss of his lover (Anna imagined) or of his children or perhaps even his whole family, a loss that forced him away from the sea forever. Looking at the sea (even in paintings) brings back the pain and the torment, so he had to move away to survive.

There are many examples in literature and music, and opera in particular, of the joy and tragedy and powerful effect on the emotions of the sea; Wagner’s “ The Flying Dutchman” being just one such example in opera.

I like to think of Anna’s music as an interpretation of J M Synge’s play “Riders to the Sea”. Maybe it’s too much of a coincidence and possibly Anna is not even familiar with the works of Synge, although I doubt that. But where else did she get the title for the music? In Synge’s play the riders are the fishermen who risk their lives making a living in the harsh and unpredictable waters of the Atlantic Ocean. News reaches the family that their eldest son’s body has been washed ashore near their island cottage and despite the mother’s pleadings the only surviving son sets off to sign up with another fishing vessel, only for him to drown too!   

Synge depicted the sea as a grandly magisterial force that envelops all life, a cruel master, remorselessly taking life out of the world, leaving the destitute even more impoverished. The mother reveals at the end of the play that she has lost eight men during her life to the implacable force of nature, a pattern that is universal and not just played out on the Aran Islands.