Author Topic: Anna's Fingers  (Read 3483 times)

funlovingnun

• Do you play croquet?
    • View Profile
Anna's Fingers
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:58:13 AM »
What do you think about them? Has she mastered her fingers? What extraordinary things do you think she can do with them?

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Anna's Fingers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »
The intro to this is my favourite fingers reference.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzKpQrGtgT0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mzKpQrGtgT0</a>

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
What do you think about them? Has she mastered her fingers? What extraordinary things do you think she can do with them?

Well, I don't want to think about what she can do with her fingers! She's obviously got very strong hands, which I suppose you would expect with many years of guitar (and violin? I don't know if you need strong hands to play the violin) playing. As a complete non-musician, I am simply in awe of anyone who can get a tune out of any instrument (OK, kazoos and Swanee-whistles excluded) but what Anna can do with her fingers and a guitar I find completely magical.

electriclight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
I think she'd be excellent at knitting - strong, yet nimble fingers! I can picture it in 30 years: Grannama Calvi. She'd be even shorter due to age-related shrinkage: wrapped in a crochet blanket, lecturing her grannachildren about her days in the crazy world of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »
Hey, 63 is not that old! Look at Grace Jones. ;D I think Anna will be just as proficient in playing these wild solos as she is now. I mean I wish her fingers all the best.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »
Well said! 63 is no age, I'm sure (I'm not yet 63, by the way)! There are loads of people still making excellent music in their sixties, and beyond: Bowie, Cohen, Jones, Harris (OK, I made the last one up). I think Anna, diminutive, grey-haired, slightly, but ever-so-elegantly, wrinkled Anna, will be playing and singing superbly at 63, while, AT THE SAME TIME knitting a jumper. She's already started practicing, using the knitting needle to play guitar during Tristan.

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
Well said! 63 is no age, I'm sure (I'm not yet 63, by the way)! There are loads of people still making excellent music in their sixties, and beyond: Bowie, Cohen, Jones, Harris (OK, I made the last one up). I think Anna, diminutive, grey-haired, slightly, but ever-so-elegantly, wrinkled Anna, will be playing and singing superbly at 63, while, AT THE SAME TIME knitting a jumper. She's already started practicing, using the knitting needle to play guitar during Tristan.

Yes, and she has started wearing oversized, grandma-like sweaters too.

And don't get me wrong - that still looks adorable in a way.

Back to the subject of Anna's fingers, I think this performance shows their true capabilities:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0D1fNoMulE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0D1fNoMulE</a>

2:15-2:18 I'm positive she played more than 20 notes during these 3 seconds. And no, I'm not easily impressed by just technical skills, but we all know Anna is much more than just brilliant technique.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:22:38 PM by moulinette »

electriclight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

2:15-2:18 I'm positive she played more than 20 notes during these 3 seconds. And no, I'm not easily impressed by just technical skills, but we all know Anna is much more than just brilliant technique.

Because Rider to The Sea wasn't difficult enough to be learning already. Part of me resents her for showing just how much more she can do whenever she feels like it. And then the other part can't help but be awed at how casually she can bust out on of the best three seconds of shredding you'll ever hear. Those damn fingers.

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 01:42:02 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFffIfykL2Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FFffIfykL2Q</a>

5:24 What the actual hell was that. :o

electriclight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 04:38:07 AM »
I'll be a retiree before I have the skill in my fingers to play like that :P I don't know if she could actually be more technically accomplished. Is there anything she can't do? I'm genuinely wondering, because I can't think of any difficult style of playing she hasn't displayed at some point or another.

The drumming was so cool as well. I very much approve of the latest replacement!

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
I'll be a retiree before I have the skill in my fingers to play like that :P I don't know if she could actually be more technically accomplished. Is there anything she can't do? I'm genuinely wondering, because I can't think of any difficult style of playing she hasn't displayed at some point or another.

The drumming was so cool as well. I very much approve of the latest replacement!

Exactly, I feel ashamed as a musician when I see what she can do... The only technique I *guess* she's not a master of is fingerstyle, but who knows... Maybe she just doesn't use it very often.

Yeah, I like the drumming, too! A bit rough compared to Dan's, but still very good.

luckythelab

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
i watched both of those vids in 1/2 speed, and some bits are still crazy! AMAZING! :o