Author Topic: Aubades  (Read 1582 times)

electriclight

• View Profile
Aubades
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
"An aubade is a morning love song (as opposed to a serenade, which is in the evening), or a song or poem about lovers separating at dawn. It has also been defined as "a song or instrumental composition concerning, accompanying, or evoking daybreak"."

Full info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubade

Do you think this kind of song is a relevant concept for Anna's music? I think it adds an interesting dimension to consider the specifics of an aubade in the context of Morning Light, A Kiss To Your Twin, and Suzanne & I:

"In the strictest sense of the term, an aubade is a song from a door or window to a sleeping woman. Aubades are generally conflated with what are strictly called albas, which are exemplified by a dialogue between parting lovers, a refrain with the word alba, and a watchman warning the lovers of the approaching dawn."

It kind of enriches the meanings that are already there on a surface level to me - the idea that Anna's songs are romantic rather than spiritual. When I listen to those three songs (in particular) now, I can visualise a lover speaking the lyrics to the other at dawn, and the song meanings seem to make perfect sense. I guess that kind of imagery was already there anyway, I just thought an aubade was an interesting term that kind of enhances the ideas in the songs even more. Thoughts?

funlovingnun

• Do you play croquet?
    • View Profile
Re: Aubades
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
Is there a term for like a middle of the day song? Or how about an evening song before dinner?

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Aubades
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »
Is there a term for like a middle of the day song? Or how about an evening song before dinner?

Serenade is the evening version.