Author Topic: Anna contributing for theatre play  (Read 3386 times)

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
Anna contributing for theatre play
« on: July 27, 2016, 03:40:43 PM »
Now this sounds interesting :

http://www.duesseldorfer-schauspielhaus.de/de/index/spielplan/alle-stuecke/stueck.php?SID=1818

It basically says that famous theatre and opera director Robert Wilson is currently directing  a play based on a very dark novel by the legendary author E. T. A Hoffman, " the Sandman".
He's apparently  consulted Anna Calvi to provide the music.  But it's not clear yet if they mean she'll explicitly write music for the play or if they'll use some songs to incorporate of if she'll  actually be involved on stage.
The play will be premiered next spring at the well known Schauspielhaus in Düsseldorf and in May it will be played at the famous theatre festival Ruhrfestspiele.

I'll keep an eye on it for further informations ;)
Mox nox.

Louise

• View Profile
Re: Anna contributing for theatre play
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »
Thanks to Michael for finding another link on this subject:

http://www.imgrum.net/media/1303262580664203626_572843870

There's also more links of German sites that seem reliable, though not offering  any more news other than it seems confirmed that Anna is actually writing the music for this theatre play.
So there's hope that we'll get to listen to some new music by her, a sort of "theatre soundtrack" perhaps ;).
Mox nox.

hypnos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 07:25:29 PM »
Hi,
I found two more  links:

http://www.duesseldorf-queer.de/2016/04/30/theaterabenteuer-im-d-haus/

https://issuu.com/ddorferschauspielhaus/docs/20160705_dhaus_spielzeitheft_rz_ein  --> page 15

I'm curious what the music will sound like? But does that mean the new album will be further postponed because she has a deadline to meet for the theatre?

Have a great weekend everyone  :)
Claudia

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »
 Thanks for the links Claudia

We are all curious as to what the situation is with the new album.
  Anna first promised  this nearly two years ago , and there have obviously been  problems.  Has she run out of ideas ? has she lost interest in being a  recording / performing artist ? Is she more interested in this project and yet another covers EP than a new album ?   We do not know.
    But I think that she is making a huge mistake in disappearing and not letting her fans know what is going on.
    In the music world , artists are quickly forgotten and at the moment  both the interest in Anna ,and her fan base seems to be in  decline .
     The longer she delays the new album and does'nt bother to let us know what is going on , the worst this will become.
       If Anna has decided she has had enough of the music business... fair enough... but she owes it to her fans who have supported her over the years to keep them informed, rather than leaving us in limbo !

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:49:12 PM by Michael G »

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Hi Claudia,
       Thanks for the links! Yes, I think Anna has to meet a deadline  for the play, but I don't think this is the reason why a new album was postponed again, because she definitely didn't have this offer to write the music already early last year when she had started to write the new album.

Of course, it's exciting that she's exploring new areas, but it gets overshadowed by a bad feeling that something went wrong with the album. We know from herself about her writer's block, but she seemed back on track after that, remember her Christmas message. So we all wonder what happened after that to make her delay the album again.

She can do whatever she wants without actually owing us an explanation, yes, but she's not yet in a position of a PJ Harvey or Kate Bush who can fuck off for years without saying a word and then come back triumphantly.

I agree with Michael, though we are not forgetting her, but the music business is of short memory; Anna should at least come up with a news bulletin from time to time so that the music media have something to report, just like with this theatre play, this would be definitely worth a word or two as it must be a huge project for Anna.

So come on Anna, just a few words to calm us down! ;)
Mox nox.

hypnos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I agree with you that it would mean a lot to us fans to get an update on Anna's activities every now and then, but I think that would also be a job her management should do (but yes, we know that they don't do much!) - to promote anything she does artistically much more pro-actively! It's usually the fans who find out about her activities and then spread that news. Whatever the reason for the delay of the new album is is not necessarily out business to know but it makes me a little sad that something might be troubling Anna so that there is no (?) progress. Because she is not inactive the whole time, she does a lot of other things (Bowie tribute, The Invisible, theatre,...). Oh well... :-\

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »
I totally agree, Louise and Claudia , that Anna is not forced to let us know what is going on.  But it seems that a social media presence and some sort of perceived interaction with fans is an essential part of the music business now.
   Of all the people I follow in music ,  Anna seems to put the least effort into this. When she first started she did all
   her own Fbook posts.  Now she rarely posts anything herself.
    Ok.. ..Anna may be happy to leave this side of the business  to her management.  But as we all know ,they are useless, appear to do absolutely nothing,  and have failed Anna yet again.

By far the biggest opportunity Anna has been given this year was by Amanda Palmer, who involved her in the Bowie tributes in the USA , and the Proms, and tried to give Anna a break in the States.

AFP completely took advantge of the Bowie events  with widespread Fbook coverage, kept her fans involved, and milked this for all the publicity she could get.  Reformed the Dresden Dolls etc,etc.
                 All Anna and her management could do was a couple of lazy re-posts of You-Tube videos on Fbook, and did,nt even  tell  Anna ' s fans about the Proms tickets until after they were sold out.   

Most of the coverage and news of Anna,s concerts is fan driven, and this reflects the fact that we have built up an amazing community of friends through following Anna , and it benefits us , as much as her.       

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:50:13 PM by Michael G »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
Der Sandmann premieres on May 3 in Recklinghausen.   Music and words by Anna Calvi .  Orchestral arrangements by Jherek  Bischoff. ( a familiar name ! )

Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning for anyone keen  to go ...

https://www.ruhrfestspiele.de/en/veranstaltungen/veranstaltung_detail.php?ver_id=859&ter_id=2652

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:24:50 PM by Michael G »

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
Well, to be honest, I didn't like Bischoff's arrangements for 'Lady Grinning Soul', so I hope he doesn't spoil Anna's work. I wonder if Anna herself will perform, or just at the premiere or if she's behind the stage this time as composer.
And will she release it as an album?
Mox nox.

em

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
Ahh thanks for this, Michael. Good to have some news! I'm dead keen on going so we'll see if life permits.  Also perhaps this will mean she'll start work on her album again?? Praying hands.

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
Thanks Em..      A few of us keener ( madder  :) ) fans have decided to have a trip out to Recklinghausen.   The premier on 3 May has sold out, but we have booked tickets for the 4 May.   If anybody else would like to join us, please message me.

hypnos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »
Thanks for the information, Michael! You are a really devoted and crazy bunch  ;).

Have a great time and, of course, tell us about it... :)

Claudia

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
(...) I am the Music Director and Arranger for Robert Wilson's new production (...)

If you are anywhere nearby, I highly recommend you come check it out. Anna and my voices are both very clear and LOUD! (...)

Source: www.jherekbischoff.com/blog-1/category/sandman

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
Song names:

"Sunday", "Melodiös" (?) and "Surrender" (?). Please, confirm to us, Louise  :)

Source: ww.wz.de/lokales/duesseldorf/duesseldorfer-schauspielerinnen-in-der-ard-serie-charite-1.2410659

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:08:24 PM »
Thanks, AC , and you almost got it right :).  The songs are "Sunday" and "Surrender", latter is the favourite of the actress Rosa Enskat who is going to sing them ( among others ) in her role as Nathanael's mother. With "melodiös" she means that the songs sound melodious to her.
Mox nox.