Author Topic: Anna contributing for theatre play  (Read 2874 times)

AC

• View Profile

Louise

• My bark may be worse than my bite
    • View Profile
Re: Anna contributing for theatre play
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
Thanks, AC! Actually you picked out two very different reviews, proof of how different tastes and perceptions are.
The first one is rather negative, claiming that 'Wilson is painfully repeating himself with creating another shallow designer- musical...'. About Anna's music they write:'.....the band is very skilled, but the songs are low level.......The compositions are sort of picked up from Morricone and Schubert, mixed with 80s pop and the kitschy final choral sounds even like The BeeGees after smoking dope.....'  :o

The second review is rather good, though still not totally enthusiastic with Anna's music: '....the songs are fitting, picking up influences from fairground waltzes and circus aesthetics and grunge . But basically they are straightforward written musical songs,  they can sound like a hymn (Sunday Light)  or like rock, they are all pose and calculated effect....'

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:00:04 PM by Louise »
Mox nox.

dogandclowns

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
Hmmm...  I think theatre critics do not have the right sensibility for Anna's music...

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »
That is now a very good review :)!
Mox nox.

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:14:38 PM by AC »

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
Thanks for finding this, AC :)
Mox nox.

AC

• View Profile

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »
Once more, thank you, AC :). Here's a translation of the most important parts of the interview:

The intro is an altogether very good review, describing the play as "mixture of grusical, revue-theatre and Rocky-Horror-Comic-show."
The premiere audience was very enthusiastic, giving a ten minutes standing ovation and demanding encores, of which the cast did two, and the highlight was when the composer of the songs, Anna Calvi - soft and tender in her appearance, but strong with her voice- grabbed the micro and tuned in to the songs. After the great finale where the ensemble repeated "True Lies", a song that sounds like a potential hit, the audience left the theatre happily for an after show party in the foyer.

Anna told the interviewer that she had arrived just right before the premiere because she had still been recording her album in the morning. It still doesn't have a title, but 'I Whip the Night' will be included.

David Byrne introduced her to Bob Wilson; of his work she had basically only known 'Black Rider', but none of his operas he directed.

It was great fun to write for Der Sandmann, she hadn't read the novel before, but what convinced her to do it was the character of Nathanael, his madness and insanity: it's very tempting to lose yourself in your imagination.

Anna was staying in Düsseldorf for three weeks for rehearsals; Wilson improvised with the ensemble at first without lyrics, just with the costumes and masks and he told the actors which moods he required for the different scenes: dark or light.
With these impressions Anna returned to London and tried to turn the visuals into music, she wrote about 12 hours every day for a few weeks.

The interviewer asks if she fell in love with one character in particular and she replies that she loves Nathanael and his joyful madness, it inspired her to write songs about him.  And also Christian Friedel, who plays him, is an excellent actor and singer.

Asked if Wilson's works aren't kind of artificial, she says this may appear so on the first look, but in her opinion, Wilson is observing human beings from the perspective of an alien and that's how he discovers the truly human side in them.

The rest is the usual questions and answers about how Anna discovered music, etc..
Mox nox.

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
Thank you Louise! I tried with Google translator but it didn't help at all...

That's cool, and btw I really like the song "Whip the night", it became one of my favorites! (in general I do like melodies -  specially guitar parts and Anna's voice of course - rather than lyrics).  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:27:46 PM by AC »

Michael G

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
This is a short video  interview Anna gave in Dusseldorf about the play...

https://www.facebook.com/DuesseldorferSchauspielhaus/videos/vb.175569169144942/1332139296821251/?type=2&theater
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:53:41 PM by Michael G »

AC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »