Author Topic: Green Man Festival 2018  (Read 304 times)

substandardnerd

• Mollusc wedding planner
    • View Profile
Green Man Festival 2018
« on: March 01, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Just announced: Anna added to this year's outstanding Green Man Festival line-up!

I was already booked so am super excited about this news!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:34:07 AM by substandardnerd »

Betty Elms

• View Profile
Re: Green Man Festival 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
I was already booked too so been doing a dance of joy after this announcement! I was initially underwhelmed when the first lineup was announced but now I’m very happy. Joan as Policewoman too! Actually there is so much I’m looking forward to on this lineup.

substandardnerd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
Same! I'd booked early as I've been to the last three and loved them, despite the weather  ::), but thought this year's line-up wasn't as good as previous years, until today! The addition of Anna obviously made my day but I also love Kelly Lee Owens, Joan As Police Woman, Tuung, Bas Jan, Lucy Dacus, Susanne Sundfør and Wye Oak. From the previous announcement I'm excited about Public Service Broadcasting, Phoebe Bridgers, Courtney Maria Andrews, Baxter Dury, Jane Weaver, Bo Ningen and Goat Girl.

See you down at the front for Anna!  ;D

Betty Elms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »
I’m also looking forward to quite a few of those you mentioned, especially  Baxter Dury and Susanne Sundfor. Also, Grizzly Bear and John Grant. Not impressed with the headliners (but then am I ever?!). As far as I’m concerned, War on Drugs are cheesy MOR, and Fleet Foxes are nice enough I suppose but  as headliners will probably make me fall asleep. I saw Gizzard Lizard Wizard by accident at a free festival in Melbourne about 4 years ago. They were so awful I walked out after about two songs! I can’t believe they’ve become so popular. Maybe I’ll give one or two of their  30 or so albums a listen to see if I’ve warmed to them over the years. I’d love to see Gwenno added to the  bill too, and maybe Anna von Hausswolff, who’s music I’ve recently discovered.

I’ve never been to Green Man but booked early bird tickets. I had a strange feeling all along that Anna Calvi would be playing and I’m so glad I was right! I’ve been dying to see her live again since I first saw saw her in Melbourne in 2014. Hope she releases a new album by then!

substandardnerd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
Baxter Dury is great live and very, very funny too! I saw him at the End of the Road festival last year and then again later in the year in London.

I don't get the appeal of the Gizzard Lizards either but the great thing about Green Man is that there is always lots of different stuff on so you always have something to do.

The last time I saw Fleet Foxes a fight broke out and had to be broken up by security and some idiots got thrown out of the venue. The most unlikely gig for a fight ever!   :-\

Do be prepared for wet weather as the festival is notoriously rainy and for good reason as the site is surrounded by mountains. They look gorgeous, when you can see them, but do tend to cause a lot of rain on the site.

Do you drink beer? There's a beer fesival on site with 100+ locally brewed beers and ciders which are generally excellent! The food is really good too!

I've just listened to Anna von Hausswolff's new album for the first time. It's absolutely immense! I love her and have been a fan for some time. I'm seeing her in London soon. It would be awesome if she was added to the GMF bill! Same for Gwenno!

Here are a few snaps of the main stage and site I took in 2015.

Betty Elms

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pictures, it looks great! And for the tips, but don’t worry I am more than prepared for wet weather. I am a fairly seasoned festival goer, both in the UK and Australia. Even if it rains a lot at Green Man I can’t imagine it will ever get as bad as Glastonbury. It was years ago since I was there but it rained all day every day and the whole site turned to sticky, glue-like mud which made it very difficult to walk from stage to stage. I still had fun, somehow.

Do I drink beer? Why, yes I do!  I will be sampling as many as I can. I’ve heard the food is good too but. Hope there’s plenty of vegan options. I expect there will be.

I’ve liked Baxter Dury for a few years, absolutely loved his Happy Soup album but never seen him live. I’ll also be watching Alex Cameron. Loved his first album, but not so much his second despite it featuring Angel Olsen. I think he’ll be very entertaining.

I’m most excited about Calvi though of course

substandardnerd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
Cool. Yes, if you've survived a Glastonbury mudbath (I've done a few myself!) you'll be fine at GMF! The ground drains well so even if it's been tanking it down all day you can still get around okay. I've been going to festivals in the UK since I was a little kid so am well used to dealing with everything the Great British Summer has to offer! 

Cropredy Festival 2010. ;D

I'm vegan and can confirm that there are plenty of suitable and very tasty options!