Author Topic: What are your thoughts about Roger Deckker?  (Read 1548 times)

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts about Roger Deckker?
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »
What did you think of Roger Deckker doing the photographs for Anna's album and the promotional shots this time?

He likes taking a lot of blurry photos of Anna.

Never forget!

I do like some of them like this, but I feel like he never really takes an interesting photo and always seems to capture Anna posing with the same expression.

Thoughts?

electriclight

• View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts about Roger Deckker?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »
I'm not so keen on the blurry ones, and of course the traumatic mask. But I like some of the settings he chooses, even if (like you say) his images of Anna by herself can be a bit generic. Though I suppose that any picture of Anna is going to be one I enjoy to a certain extent, regardless of its originality :P

PLan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:20:52 AM »
I quite like the cover of One Breath but I’m definitely not excited about the single covers this time. The last one for now – Suddenly – I’m like... why? Nothing about the picture itself but for the cover of Suddenly? Especially now when there is the beautiful Emma Nathan’s black and white video but the cover of the single looks like this... This cover is a bit empty for me.

funlovingnun

• Do you play croquet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:59:04 AM »
The blurry photo is.. like him trying to make a cool photo. It's not cool though it's kind of trying hard to be cool.

The cover art for Eliza was was almost trolly. Maybe he was trying to think of the complete opposite of what the song was about & he wanted to be controversial.

I feel like he'd be one of those people that have a long explanation like "Well, when I decided on this cover art.. it gave meaning. I thought of the ugly behind the song & the hatred that spewed in each chorus. Everything that evolved into form & made this song turbulent is portrayed in this ugly image. The image is ugly, but it is beautiful. I see it as beautiful"

Then I'd read his explanation & be like.. um no

The last photo with the plant? I like the shirt that was chosen because it stands out, but c'mon pick a better plant then!

Overall, I think he's meh

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Seeing the negativity towards it here, I almost feel guilty for liking the Eliza cover photo, haha. Please don't kill me, I just like the concept, and the artwork in its entirety is rather pleasant to look at. As for the creepiness of it... I might be a bad judge, rubbish in fact, but it doesn't seem that scary to me. I'd instead say it's grotesque and twisted.

What I certainly didn't like was the One Breath artwork. It was because of the atrocious font choice - both colors and shape. It literally destroyed the composition, so I'm glad it turned out to simply be a sticker on the wrap, and it's not printed on the cover itself. I don't hate it now, but it's nowhere near the level of the previous album art nonetheless. As for the photo itself, I think her ear sticks out way too much.
By the way, does anybody have an hq version of it? This it the best version I've found so far:

There are several scans available on the web, but they don't look very good.

But I like some of the settings he chooses, even if (like you say) his images of Anna by herself can be a bit generic.
Agreed. The settings are really nice, and they fit Anna's style. And yes, Deckker's pictures are quite generic, but let's face it, Anna has exactly the same expression in the majority of her photo sessions, haha. Overall, I'm rather indifferent towards Deckker's works, except for Eliza which, oddly, I like. He's slightly boring, yeah.

firedesire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
'As for the photo itself, I think her ear sticks out way too much.'
The mashed up makeup and the eye Was always the center of my attention, now every time I look at the album is like- 'oh there is the ear...'

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
'As for the photo itself, I think her ear sticks out way too much.'
The mashed up makeup and the eye Was always the center of my attention, now every time I look at the album is like- 'oh there is the ear...'

Haha, I'm sorry for pointing that out! It just contrasts too much with the dark surroundings, and maybe the angle wasn't very good either.