Author Topic: I'll Be Your Man  (Read 1339 times)

electriclight

• View Profile
I'll Be Your Man
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
You know, I think that in this song Anna is trying to speak to us honestly. As dedicated fans, we need to listen. I don't think Anna is who she says she is in everyday life. Could she be speaking more plainly here, when she says:

I'll be your man
I'll be your man
I'll be your man
I'll be your man

It's quite simple. In this song, Anna is revealing that she is a man. We should have guessed, really. Her interest in a phallic instrument, for a start. Along with this, it seems like Anna's feminine style of dress and make up serves more as a parody of womanhood - in much the same style of a drag artist. The vibrant colours, the angelic yet obviously false wig, the stilettos. I believe that when Anna says she is going to 'be our man', what she means is that she is going to be her true self for a change - without the stage outfits, or feminine bravado.

The rest of the lyrics further support this notion:

I'll be your man
I'll be your man
I'll be your man
I'll be your man

I'll be your man
I'll be your man
I'll be your man
I'll be your man

I also thought these lines were particularly touching - a reference to the struggles of a gender-confused person in the modern world of binaries:

Heaven knows what we could have been
But somehow we wait and a little bit falls away

Obviously, 'heaven knows what we could have been' is about the uncertainty of an unstable identity, which can ultimately lead to a feeling of loss, or wasted life. This is enhanced by the image of something 'falling away'. What is this 'little bit'? Is it it Anna's literal manhood? It sounds painful.

But I wouldn't want to be overly presumptuous. Are there other interpretations of I'll Be Your Man out there?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:21:49 PM by electriclight »

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I'll Be Your Man
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:11:31 PM »
There can't possibly be any other interpretations: Anna is indeed a man. Despite some people (me for example) thinking 'her' to be just about the most gorgeous-looking creature that ever strapped on a telecaster (Hell, I'm turning all country 'n' western macho here), she clearly, as you've conclusively proved, is in possession of a will ... Ing collaborator. Now, the fact that I have been obsessed for the last two and a half years by a ... Man may say something about me. God! Next you'll be saying there are objects of male obsession who might be less than straight. But that's just plain ridiculous!

Your Highness

• View Profile
    • N.o..m.o.r.e..w.o.r.d.S
Re: I'll Be Your Man
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
Along with this, it seems like Anna's feminine style of dress and make up serves more as a parody of womanhood - in much the same style of a drag artist. The vibrant colours, the angelic yet obviously false wig, the stilettos.

OUH That is such an interesting analysis. This should be my subject of research for my PHD.
She is actually dressing up as a woman yet she uses male flamenco's inspiration for her clothes. And so extracts herself from the gender binary and explores the worlds and references that exist in between and beyond.
I have to think about it and come back with a more elaborated answer. Thank you for that.

This is so interesting that it breaks my interpretation of it. As i'm not an english speaking person my interpretation could be not as subtle as you guys. But until now, as it is for me sometimes, it was more about her seducing a straight woman and offering her to dive into the unknown and using those words "I'll be your man" to convince her to surrender to temptation. She's talking to this woman with the vocabulary she is familiar with.
How many times have I heard "If only you were a man". To what i would answer "Well If you let me i'll be your man".
We never go as far as when we don't know where we're going