Author Topic: Anna's Objectophilia  (Read 1191 times)

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Anna's Objectophilia
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
I saw this old black and white footage of a bridge violently swaying due to high winds, until it buckled and fell to pieces. It had a really strong affect on me. Firstly the swaying seemed very sensual, ( which sounds weird I know) but it was also devastating, seeing this body fall away to nothing. It was just very poetic and I was compelled to write a song about it.

Bleed into Me is about falling in love with a river, instead of a human- which I find very romantic- the idea of being consumed and carried away, of having absolute trust in a force which is so much bigger than you, and could kill you.

Discuss!  8)

electriclight

• View Profile
Re: Anna's Objectophilia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »
Clearly, Anna's small stature has given her some sort of complex about size. This means she looks to larger forces for a sense of love and comfort - a sort of yearning for what could have been :P

But in all seriousness: I do think it's quite beautiful, the way she personifies these entities and gives them new meaning in such an intimate way. I like how these songs can exist on both the literal and the symbolic level. I can also think of places or objects that mean just as much to me (if not more) than people do, that have come to represent/impose emotions just from being in them. And given that music is another force (like a swaying bridge) that is created by humans yet comes to mean so much more than its creator may have expected, I guess it makes sense that it would be the perfect medium through which to explore these consuming forces - the human emotions that can be projected onto non-human entities.

Does that make any sense? Soz if it doesn't. I will rationally justify my stance if need be.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
Let's not go down the road of rational justification again...(!) I'm still a little preoccupied with the thought of Anna skinny-dipping on an Italian beach, but dragging myself back to the subject of this conversation, I really like your comments about music, the bridge, and symbolism. Maybe I'm trying to read too much into her songs, but I get the feeling, from both albums, not only that she doesn't reveal everything that each song means to her, but that sometimes she can be almost misleading in her - quite understandable - efforts to protect herself. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case here, but it seems obvious to me that these two songs are not just about a bridge or a river, although these things may (well, I'm sure they did if Anna herself says so) have given her the initial inspiration.

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
I continue to see death in everything. I'm imagining someone (I won't say it's Anna under no circumstances) walk onto a fragile-looking bridge despite the obvious danger of it going down... Or rather, the certainty. And then, of course, she falls into the wild river and, keeping perfect composure, lets it consume her.

Because suicide is everything I ever think about, right? Seriously though, it could be about a number of things, even in my dramatic interpretation.