Author Topic: Cheap Hotel  (Read 2645 times)

MrCricket

• View Profile
Cheap Hotel
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
This needed to be done I guess... So were they the prelude to greatness, a band of great potential that enabled Anna to earn her stripes and gain valuable experience.

Or were they a bit crap.

I reckon they were a bit crap personally, but had a couple of decent songs. Never going to make it... But without them I reckon Anna Calvi wouldn't have happened. For that we can be grateful!

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
Re: Cheap Hotel
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
More than a bit crap in my opinion, but I like Storms.

I've found the interview in which she says playing in Cheap Hotel was actually a helpful experience.

Well, we all know she's become quite hostile to the idea of discussing her involvement with CH, but I imagine it's because the interviewers repeat that question over and over, and she's just sick of it.

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:35:09 PM »
I fucking love them, but I fucking love everything Anna does/is involved with, so it's probably just an extension of that.

Your Highness

• View Profile
    • N.o..m.o.r.e..w.o.r.d.S
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
Oh I think it's a bit harsh to call it crap. It's not formidable of course but it's nice.
The most interesting part of those videos is to be able to witness Anna experiencing and building her stage persona.
Question is: what would we think about it if the lead singer/guitarist was a flat hysterical narcissistic woman? Anna's live performances are very clever and powerful so she creates the interest and make the band special.

If I lived in London in those years and came across this band by chance in the Candy bar for instance haha during a night out i'm sure I would have had a crush on her and the potential she has.

I have to say it's also nice to see her having fun. She's always so serious...

I do quite like the Mr Hudson remix of The 54th: https://myspace.com/wearecheaphotel/music/songs
We never go as far as when we don't know where we're going

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
And on the subject of image, doesn't Anna look fabulous in the New York video: very different from now, but clearly playing with 1940s/50s looks, in a way that's perhaps vaguely reminiscent of her current 'Marcel wave' hairdo look. She seems to be channelling WWII 'land girl' with, I dunno, a touch of Rita Hayworth. An interesting point, I think, about what if the lead singer were not devastatingly beautiful. I like to think that I would still be smitten by Anna Calvi's music even if she wasn't so gorgeous. But maybe I'm kidding myself....

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »
I'd like to think of still be a huge fan. She's clearly pretty but not really my type (if such a thing exists. Is drunk and desperate a type? Hard to extrapolate with so few data points...) so it's her music especially when performed live I like.

I don't know what effect her style has on it all. I guess it has an effect, but I have zero sense of style.

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I'd like to think of still be a huge fan. She's clearly pretty but not really my type (if such a thing exists. Is drunk and desperate a type?

Now come come! I'm sure that should be discerning and only mildly tipsy.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
Alas no, I'm the archetypal "6 pinter"!

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
I finally managed to purchase the Cheap Hotel New York/High vinyl. I am weirdly excited about this, because I have wanted it for like 3 years lmao.

I hope it arrives in one piece.

laughingcavalier

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 04:45:14 PM »
Has anyone found a good quality version of "Storms"? It is the only Cheap Hotel song I haven't... erm... not loved, and I can only find a rubbish video on youtube. :'(

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:45:22 AM »
Has anyone found a good quality version of "Storms"? It is the only Cheap Hotel song I haven't... erm... not loved, and I can only find a rubbish video on youtube. :'(

No, but I think judging by Gregg's comment on youtube it was recorded. You could try emailing Hero Rhymes With Zero and asking if they have it/would give it to you (that's how I got lots of the other unreleased songs to begin with).

But I think after the whole drama, they might have deleted all the Cheap Hotel songs as they changed the details on the New York single release to say: 'All 500 copies of the 7″ vinyl are sold out – the single has now been deleted'.

http://herorhymeswithzero.com/2013/11/cheap-hotel-new-york-vinyl-7-limited-edition/

laughingcavalier

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
Thanks moulinette, as ever, a fountain of knowledge!