Author Topic: Associations with Anna's music  (Read 1191 times)

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Associations with Anna's music
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Maybe we've already done this, or maybe it's just a dumb idea, but it was prompted by one of Anna's answers to the most recent Q and A on Tumblr, viz:

"I am curious as to what songs bring certain memories to people’s minds, because I love the way songs can encapsulate a moment in time, and a song can forever have a certain association."

Now, at the risk of coming over all Proustian, does anyone have any particular memories associated with Anna's songs? Not memories of particular gigs, but other associations.

I'm not very good at this, but I suppose I have to start. At the risk of repeating myself to the point of being really boring (as opposed to just boring), I can remember, vividly, the first time I heard one of Anna's songs: Desire came on the kitchen radio just as I turned it on, having come downstairs one afternoon in June 2011 while working at home. It stopped me dead in my tracks but I only caught part of Anna's name from the announcement, which made spotifying this, which I immediately did, a little challenging. I'm afraid that apart from that, and memories of gigs and pre-gigs, nothing particularly extraordinary has happened to me since then! I usually listen to Anna, and other music, while walking, usually with Harry the Dog, so I'm afraid many of my associations are with less than glamorous moments connected with that!

electriclight

• View Profile
Re: Associations with Anna's music
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
What a good idea Pete!

The Devil always reminds me of the afternoons I spent walking through my neighbourhood listening to Anna's debut for the first few times. I suppose we're similar, in that I too like to walk lots when I listen to music. I just find it so mentally stimulating, and it tends to transfer into all this physical energy (no jokes guys) which suits walking perfectly. It was last summer and though I guess you wouldn't exactly call The Devil a lighthearted, warm weather number, I just loved how absolutely immersed I became in the atmosphere of building tension -like, even when I was listening to it on repeat for an hour and I knew exactly what was going to happen, it was still exciting.

And this one is stupid, but Rider to the Sea reminds me of riding my bike down this really steep hill near my house (I sound like I'm five). I used to try to time it so the 'acceleration' of the song with the circular strumming would perfectly match when I began my descent.

So that's what I do for fun in Auckland - walking and cycling in suburbia.

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
That's an interesting thread.

I know what you mean your connections with songs are quite prosaic, haha. I always listen to music while traveling, so many of my memories are of certain feelings I experienced on buses, trams, and the subway... They are not memories like "Oh goodness, that guy stank," but more what I felt like about the music itself at that particular moment. For example, I remember thinking that the string part in One Breath was so beautiful that it was inappropriate to listen to in on a tram. Well, it kind of was....

No More Words is quite special for me because it was the very first Anna song I found truly fascinating, and through listening to it, I can more or less remember the day I first encountered her music in November 2011.

Also, I have memories of listening to Eliza the day it surfaced and some time after that. It was a pretty rough time for me internally, and I remember connecting with that song in an instant. It expressed some kind of helpless desperation to which I could relate at the time, so I can remember these days' events very vividly. I feel similar about the live version of Bleed Into Me from London (the recording). It has the same brooding quality, and it's an expression of extreme emotions that come in an unstoppable wave. Goodness, there's so much drama surrounding my experiencing music... And, ironically, Blackout reminds me of a really beautiful sunset I saw last summer.

I think that after a few years have passed, Anna's music, or more precisely, the first two records, because this is where we are now, will remind us of the moment in our lives when we started listening to her. I suppose the bigger picture will be easily discernible, as it's going to be a set of memories from a given period of time.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
I can remember listening to sing to me on the sofa on my own and blubbing away because it brought back a load of sad memories about my granddad - his funeral in particular. I associate it with happier memories of him now, which is good. Suddenly definitely reminds me of hearing it for the first time at Wiltons, when it became immensely clear that it was going to one of those gigs of a lifetime.