Author Topic: Music and Fashion  (Read 1481 times)

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Music and Fashion
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
I know this may sound a bit like a mis-quoted Wham! Lyric (Music and passion were always in fashion) for those of you who have any memory/knowledge of them (anyone? No-one? OK, just me then...).

Anyway, to get to the point: Anna was interviewed for The Observer this Sunday on the subject of music and clothes, and this was part of a special on that subject, linked to an up-coming BBC season, on both TV (BBC 4) and Radio (BBC Radio 6 Music), which looks at the relationship between popular music and fashion/style from the Teddy Boys to the present. Those of us with access to the BBC might find this interesting.

I don't know if Anna appears on any of these ...

wild_corgi

• View Profile
Re: Music and Fashion
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
So far the BBC series has been a bit - disappointing and odd. How you get through 70s pop/rock high fashion leaving out Bowie and depending on Queen is beyond me.  I suppose cynically you could argue that the survivors of Queen and Xandra Rhodes were perfectly OK to let the producer romp through their personal wardrobes and stores - Bowie, maybe not so much.  Or any other glam rock bands either.

Then again, if you were going to concentrate on Queen you could at least notice in passing that prog rock's and Zeppelin's onstage costumes were their forerunners. 

Then jump ahead to punk and - tumbleweed as very few of the bands and designers would talk to them.  Stock footage of Sex, and a lot of fans talking up Siouxsie.  She didn't appear.  A few actual punks appeared, with their long lost costumes, and fair enough since the first six months were a collective effort - but not enough costumes, and not enough punks.

I did like the trip to the Northern showbiz tailor though, more from him and his amazing store of fabrics and designs would have been great.

So disappointing, and this from me who has never really been convinced Oxfam is not a designer.