Author Topic: Face of GAP?  (Read 7496 times)

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
Re: Face of GAP?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:34 AM »
Lol clearly you aren't familiar with gap...

Well, considering what I just saw, it's probably a good thing. : P

believe me, Lady T, you don't. Actually, that was more like my mother-in-law. I absolutely agree. Anyway, I don't believe Anna would look like everyone else, even in torn jeans. When I've seen photos of her in jeans and hoodie or sweatshirt she still looks exquisite!

Oh, let's admit it. We have an unhealthily positive bias towards Anna, which, to us, makes her look good in pretty much everything she wears... Not that she ever looks bad, right? Seriously though, I think she makes clothes look good on her, not the other way around.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »
Yes: she does make clothes look good on her, and the camera really loves her.

Lady Tchaikovsky

• View Profile
    • Cloaca Maxima
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »

Okay, well... After everything I've heard and read about Gap, I kind of wished it would turn out false, but apparently it didn't. What are your thoughts? Not that I expected much, but I find this picture disappointing. I have an awful feeling they intentionally suppressed Anna's uniqueness and made her look as average as possible, because their target customers are as such, and they wouldn't be convinced if the one-of-a-kind Anna Calvi was, well, looking down on them. Well, I understand why that is, but my opinion is that it's pointless. I only hope they paid her handsomely, and, whatever her reasons for doing it might be, everything worked out well for her.

The second thing is that I absolutely abhor denim. I never wear it in any way.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »
OK: GAP. I take LadyT's points absolutely, and I agree that it does perhaps make this extraordinarily beautiful, striking woman look a bit like a hundred and one other models (and, by the way, does nothing to distance her from the "Robert Palmer backing 'musician'" jibe that's too often been levelled at her) but she still looks gorgeous - there's a hint of Audrey Hepburn which is fine by me - but I wonder about her motivation. Leaving aside the possibility that she's ONLY doing it for the money, and taking seriously her repeated claims that she's not really interested in making lots of money, and, taking equally seriously her claims that by modelling she's seeking to promote her music, then I suppose we could see the Gap thing as Anna's attempt to reach new audiences: in other words, to bring her music to the attention of the typical Gap customer. Now, I'm maybe going out on a limb here, but I would imagine that anyone reading this (is anyone reading this?) would be unlikely to describe themselves as a typical Gap customer (as I sit here writing this I am in fact wearing a Gap fleecy top that I bought ages ago and wear quite often!), so it might be that Anna thinks that she's unlikely to alienate many - any - of us by doing this, but might bring a few more into the fold, and as I've found over the last glorious two and a half years in which I've been following Anna and exploring both her cultural tastes and also those of some of her other fans, following Anna seriously can be a wonderful musical education. That's fine. If so, I wish her luck. Even if she's only doing it to make lots of money I sort of wish her luck: there's much sense, I imagine, in making oneself, as far as possible, financially independent so that what might be deemed 'uncommercial' artistic pathways can be followed. But, frankly, if some multinational offered me a lucrative contract for doing stuff that didn't actually involve clubbing baby seals than I can't say that I would turn it down. And, I suppose most importantly, it's not for me to second guess, or pass judgement, on what Anna chooses to do. So why, you might ask (if you can still be bothered) am I writing this at all?
Well, I am slightly troubled by the fact that it's Gap. Not really because of the kind of clothes they sell, their image or their customers (of whom, I am, or have been, one) but because they have an unenviable reputation when it comes to business ethics, with, apparently, accusations made against them in the past of having their products manufactured in sweat shops and employing child labour. Maybe these accusations have always been ill-founded, or maybe Gap has cleaned up its act, but if it is currently engaged in such shady dealing then this would cause me some disquiet.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »
I think there's a danger of overanalysing this (and we all know what you become when you over analyse things!), and maybe I'm just keen to judge Anna by my own standards because I need to justify my own decadent and shallow existence.  I buy the odd thing from Gap, if not Top Man, Debenhams... typical high street clothes.  I'm sure if they did cord jackets with leather elbows Pete would get more stuff from there :P Fact is, she needs to promote her music, which in many respects is linked to fashion (true of all artists), and pay the bills, and put the word out. It's not like she's doing some ridiculous publicity stunt or getting her clothes off for a lads mag. Christ, I'd model for Gap.  Free clothes is Anna's middle name, and I'd like some of that too!

In no way is she selling out (I appreciate nodoby said she was). It's the way the world works. I have to go to networking events, write journal articles, get my name out there. Try to appeal to people to win business. Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather sit behind my desk and do my "bread and butter" work, but actually I enjoy the diversion once in a while.

There's a danger of being too precious. Gap aren't the worst. Hell, I've worked for some very dubious companies. doesn't mean I agree with all of their business practices.

If the clothes make her look normal, well actually she is normal. But that's a good thing.

moulinette

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
Would anyone actually know that's anna? Are they going to say? Or are they just using her as a model?

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
Judging by this advance publicity, and the existing images used in the windows of my local GAP (I just happened to be passing by, honest: I didn't make a special trip. Oh no!) it won't feature her name.

SpaceOdette

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:18 AM »
I have been inside the Gap nearest to me four times now to check, and she still isn't there. Maybe I should make a formal complaint? This isn't on. I even checked Baby Gap. Just in case.

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
Same in Bristol, so far. Can we petition for a photo of Anna wearing something nice?

laughingcavalier

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
Revenge of the 40ft Anna. (Bond Street)

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
Revenge of the 40ft Anna! My God! Thanks for the warning: imagine, I'm innocently walking down Bond St and suddenly there's this vision of a beautiful Venus-like goddess in denim (Venus in furs?) and I'm in urgent need of a defibrillator. Nurse! The Paddles!

jareed

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
it's so terrifying yet arousing at the same time.

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
In a Celebrity Death Match between 40 foot Anna and P J Harvey's 50 Foot Queenie - who would wins?

electriclight

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
In a Celebrity Death Match between 40 foot Anna and P J Harvey's 50 Foot Queenie - who would wins?

It's got to be PJ, hands down. Just like the Mercury prize. (is that a low blow?)

Though I suppose Anna does have the advantage of Brian Eno's protection. I wonder who Rob Ellis would side with.