Author Topic: Face of GAP?  (Read 7506 times)

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
Re: Face of GAP?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
40ft Anna v 50 ft Queenie? Hmmm. If Polly jumped out from behind a big bush of basil, and ambushed Anna, then she'd start with the advantage of surprise. Unless, of course, seeing as how Basil's biennial, it was the wrong time of year. "Ha ha!" Cackles Anna, as evilly as she can manage (which is probably not that convincing) and tossing her beautiful golden curls, "so, PJ, or Jim Jams as I like to call you, along with the rest of the civilized world you didn't imagine that I had actually made myself the World's Leading Expert on the life cycle of ocimum basilicum! So, I knew that your sneaky basil bush [Basil Brush?] wheeze would avail you nought. Put down that Telecaster and come quietly!"

Of course, this scenario requires extremely huge basil bushes and guitars.

Yes, I should be marking essays .....

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 08:15:47 PM »
Actually, in a straight fight I think I'd put money on Ellis rather than Eno. He's younger, and takes bracing walks on the Dorset Coast. Would the loser have to be admitted to St Vincent's Hospital? Shove up Dylan [Thomas, not Bob].

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »
In a Celebrity Death Match between 40 foot Anna and P J Harvey's 50 Foot Queenie - who would wins?

It's got to be PJ, hands down. Just like the Mercury prize. (is that a low blow?)

yes but (sigh) probably true ...

Off topic, but wasn't it Dylan Thomas's cause of death that was described as "insult to the brain?"

I digress. If Rob Ellis goes for bracing walks on the Dorset Coast, the sneaky way to win is ambush him and push him over the edge.

Basil being biennial means it only lives for two years. So the poor little basil plant is a gonner in any case by now, through natural means. Unless there's an imposter basil plant round Anna's place? I mean, if you're unable to eat it, could you bear to hear it had died? so perhaps Basil's minders got a ringer for when she returned: you know, like parents do with their offspring's hamsters ... allegedly.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:11:35 PM by wild_corgi »

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
Wild Corgi: you mean, hamsters don't - gulp - live - sob - forever? What other lies did my parents tell me?

An insult to the brain! Wonderful. Unfortunately, I'm sure we know lots of people who are. We could probably name one or two ...

OK, so basil only lives for two years. You mean - gulp - it's not - sob - oh, forget it ....

twobreaths

• SURFBOARt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
I was dragged to http://www.thegrovela.com/index.php but we were really out of place among the teetering women and Justin Bieber-styled men and couldn't even afford anything so of course I pestered my parents to see if there was a GAP

So proud

WolfLikeHer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
Like it - it's hard to get excited about plain denim shirts & jeans, but they do throw Anna's uncommon beauty into sharp relief. Plus it's a modelling job, not a publicity shot, so it does look very "Gap".
As for the cash, why the hell not? John Lydon caught all sorts of flak for his butter ads - selling his credibility, sucking corporate d**k, all that - but he used the "filthy lucre" to make a new PIL album which otherwise probably wouldn't ever have seen the light of day.
Maybe she fancied a new guitar, or wanted to invest in an organic basil plantation or something. Maybe she wants David Guetta for her next album (*shudders*). Whatever her motivation, I'd say it's an infinitely more successful outing than Naomi Campbell's attempted music career. (*BIG shudder!*)

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
Agree - I'm all for the financial strategy of taking the money that's on offer and then doing what you want with it.

The economics of the record industry have changed in the last decade. rtists are highly unlikely to be able to rely on record sales as a main source of income.  Which is why you get songs licensed to tvs, films etc, incredibly long tours - and adverts.

Once upon a time you could truck up to the Medici, or the Princess de Polignac, or Paul Sacher, and get patronage/sponsorship/a commission/deal/whatever, to write more or less whatever you liked.  Working for Gap, or Anchor Butter, is the modern successor.

And it has to be less tiring than spending 11 out of 12 months on the road when you don't feel like/can't write.

My bottom line is as long as Anna doesn't turn up as The Face of Bo, and David Guetta doesn't turn up anywhere I'm not much bothered. 

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »
Agree - I'm all for the financial strategy of taking the money that's on offer and then doing what you want with it.

The economics of the record industry have changed in the last decade. rtists are highly unlikely to be able to rely on record sales as a main source of income.  Which is why you get songs licensed to tvs, films etc, incredibly long tours - and adverts.

Once upon a time you could truck up to the Medici, or the Princess de Polignac, or Paul Sacher, and get patronage/sponsorship/a commission/deal/whatever, to write more or less whatever you liked.  Working for Gap, or Anchor Butter, is the modern successor.

And it has to be less tiring than spending 11 out of 12 months on the road when you don't feel like/can't write.

My bottom line is as long as Anna doesn't turn up as The Face of Bo, and David Guetta doesn't turn up anywhere I'm not much bothered.

Face of Bo. Now there's a thought. Anna as the Doctor's new assistant, or alien monster villain?

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
It's prolly top secret but I think Anna may have done a sneaky screen test as The Dr herself -

http://fuckyeahannacalvi.com/post/62490794502/photograph-by-roger-deckker

- if this is any thing to go by.

(apologies for mangling the hyperlink system)

Petefrombristol

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »
Re: Wild Corgi's discovery of Anna's attempt to become new Doctor/Doctor's Assistant: well, the Tardis could certainly do with a bit of refurbishment. I really like the idea of Anna as a Time Lord (Time Lady?). She would of course have to learn how to act, and I'm not intending this as any criticism of Capaldi, but it is about time that they had a female Doctor ....

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
Or she could leave all the acting to Alex Kingston as River Song the New Doctor, and instead stalk around the Tardis  painting seascapes on the wall?

(Much as I would like Anna to be the Dr, I agree with River Song you need to take the handbrake off before you start the Tardis ... )