Author Topic: Piece By Piece video  (Read 2083 times)

MrCricket

• View Profile
Piece By Piece video
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
Thoughts? I think it's a bit underwhelming, but perhaps I'm missing the point. Got plenty of anna in it, which can only be a good thing!

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Piece By Piece video
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
Well, it's subtle. It seems to employ a similar slight delay technique as the Suzanne and I video (which I still think is fabulous), or maybe Anna's just really lousy at miming to stuff. I do wonder, sometimes - admittedly, not very often - why musicians and film makers bother with the pretending to sing/play an instrument in that Top-Of-The-Pops way on videos when it's obvious that they're not, without even the pretence of having anything plugged in or miked. Is it just so they've got something to do, rather than just standing awkwardly gawping at the camera?

electriclight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
I actually really like this video. It's not spellbinding in its conception, but I'm not overly fond of music videos that try to be like films anyway, because it's distracting in terms of the music. Especially because let's face it, Anna isn't spending much time on her acting technique and doesn't seem that comfortable with scripted ideas (I still love her!).

I love this because it's a continuous shot of Anna for the whole song, without all those annoying cuts that happen when filming a live performance usually. And because it's that continous shot, I feel like I get much closer to both Anna and the song. The rotation of the camera (or is Anna rotating??) also makes her seem very statuesque to me, as if she's some sort of exhibit to be viewed from all angles. The lighting also enhances that feeling, because to me it seems that her face has been illuminated in a way that give her features a rather foreign (but also fascinating) new perspective. I alo think it's clever that the song is called Piece by Piece, and this is the video in which they choose to have no breaks in the filming :D

I mean maybe I'm reading into it too much. I just know I'm creepy and I like to stare at people, and this is a very interesting video to me because of that.

MrCricket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »
I've seen it a few times now, and it is really growing on me. I reckon it works. Serves me right for expecting instant gratification. That isn't Anna's style!

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Agree about the lighting on her face, which seems to change (the lighting, not her face, you know what I mean) towards the end.

I like the concept of the changing colours in the background with Anna basically in black but with overtones of a lot of rich colours on her face, before the fade into a stark small black figure against a giant white background.

On the colour shift and the rationale for the choices. There's lots of colour theory out there - whether it's about mood (red = passionate, green = restful, yellow = grabs attention) or more sober about which colours complement which ones (red opposite to green etc).  You can't really escape from it even if you are a rubbish amateur B/W photographer, like me, and have to learn it by rote; so I'd expect somebody as visually sensitive as Anna, and the directors, to be fully aware of all of it and have an instinctive appreciation of it. 

So after about six watches (at lunchtime! I swear!) I began to really notice the sequence of colour changes went   red/orange/yellow/green/light blue/ dark blue / violet before going to white

which isn't a random sequence at all, it's the sequence of colours you get when you analyse light through a spectrum  - which gives a nice scientific and logical sequence - and is also the sequence of the colours of the rainbow - which has a lot of emotional associations that aren't scientific and logical.

Unless it's just me? (It so often is....)

ETA - thanks to insomnia, etc, I also noticed the colour changes are placed at significant points in the song: the first four at the line "I will forget ..." and then they mark out the different sections, the deep blue at "Love You Can Stay ..." violet at the string section, and finally white for the guitar solo and outro.

So IMO a very effective use of a visual counterpoint with white light coming together out of fragments of its component colours to a song which is about memories falling apart.

Sigh. You can tell (a) I don't really watch many videos, I expect this is all obvious to you youngsters, (b) I have too much time on my hands and (c) I get too deeply into prac. crit of anything.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:51:06 AM by wild_corgi »

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Wild Corgi: I think you're on to something there: the white light - prism - rainbow colours - fragmentation of memory thing, I mean. The correlation between fragments of memory and 'light refracted' (to quote from a Pretenders song (I get all my information about optics from Chrissie Hynde)) would present a clever visual form of representation that was entirely in keeping with the song, and, to echo other comments, if the colours of the rainbow also happen to be recognised internationally as linked to the movement for gay rights, then so much the better. I can't honestly imagine Anna tearing down some snow-covered mountain on a tea tray as part of the Winter Olympics anyway. If so, then this video might be on a par with the superb Suzanne and I one in terms of how it communicates a particular interpretation of the song, except that whereas the dance sequence in the earlier video conveys a clear and readily understandable story, the fact that some of the finest Calvi-minds on the planet (er, us) are speculating at length on this forum demonstrates that, arguably, the Piece by Piece video is a bit too subtle for its own good!

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
Great now I can't get the image of Anna tearing down a snow covered mountain headfirst on a tea tray out of my head.e

I cant claim much credit most of it is my ref books. Kudos to whoever first noticed it was a single take though (hard to tell w this not so smart phone)

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
Wild Corgi: you have reference books on Anna Calvi videos? Wow!

wild_corgi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
Yes!!! They explain how Anna's old backing band Wyld Stallyons could never have saved the wirld without her. I came back in time specially to tell everybody on the board ..

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
Wild Corgi: excellent! And not in the least bit bogus!

Petefrombristol

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
Here in Britain we're now very excited about seeing the aurora borealis - this multi-coloured aerial treat is obviously God's way of saying that He really likes Anna's new Piece by Piece video.